Thread: Newbie video

Talking Newbie video

Hi, friends. Video editing is just my hobby, but I want to share this video. I use a Sony Handycam D8 for filming and I edit on a Vaio Windows XP pc with Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5. Here I composed and played all the music. I film my self in my studio. I'm a beginer, hope you like it and send me a feedback. Thanx.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS9L_bZyN8s]YouTube - Boss GT-10/Fender Strat-Juan Carlos Portillo-En blanco[/ame]

Although in my opinion the video wasn't very interesting, the music was excellent!

Well I am going to give it 9/10. The track was really good and you kept the whole thing moving along nicely with the multitude of edits. You should be very pleased with that mate, there is nothing in there that I didn't like.

Nice job editing it together, nice tune, very nice guitar licks. A good variety of camera angles. One thing I would have liked is some continuity. I think you wore 3 different tops in the first 30 seconds. You started off great, then I saw that it was suddenly night time at 24 seconds then day time another change of top night time, a few changes in cloths, well you get my drift. Continuity is just as important in video as it is in music.

The change in cloths would be ok if you stick with one set of cloths for each instrument.

So for the next video think continuity.

I think I've made my point.

PS I'm very jealous of your music set up.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 01-25-2010 at 01:13 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    The change in cloths would be ok if you stick with on set of cloths for each instrument.
    I think that's a very good point. Keep the change of clothes - it adds variety, but keep one "costume" per instrument.
    I too liked the music, mix of angles and shots. I'd have liked perhaps fewer dissolves. I'm sure other musos love the shots of the gear, but you didn't spend too long on them (which might alienate the non-musos)
    Enjoyed it. Thanks.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Nice job editing it together, nice tune, very nice guitar licks. A good variety of camera angles. One thing I would have liked is some continuity. I think you wore 3 different tops in the first 30 seconds. You started off great, then I saw that it was suddenly night time at 24 seconds then day time another change of top night time, a few changes in cloths, well you get my drift. Continuity is just as important in video as it is in music.

The change in cloths would be ok if you stick with on set of cloths for each instrument.

So for the next video think continuity.

I think I've made my point.

PS I'm very jealous of your music set up.
    Thank you very much, that idea about clothing/continuity sounds very good, I'll try. You've made youre point, good advice and thank you very much, again

I liked that - not bad for a mac user
    Too many insecure fades maybe.
    Pacey editing i tht.
    Could have done with a light on you in places.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I think that's a very good point. Keep the change of clothes - it adds variety, but keep one "costume" per instrument.
    I too liked the music, mix of angles and shots. I'd have liked perhaps fewer dissolves. I'm sure other musos love the shots of the gear, but you didn't spend too long on them (which might alienate the non-musos)
    Enjoyed it. Thanks.
    Good idea, thanx.

May I offer one suggestion about scenes with the guitar.

The video provides a good collection of the types of standard angles which electric guitarists find themselves filmed. It is hard for Camera operators to stand too close to players or get strange angles.

But in a DIY situation, there are several more interesting possible angles. For example:
    Seeing the left and right hands from the guitarists viewpoint. Or the right hand from a camera near the jack socket.

I have seen alot of Youtube of folk making DIY music. Generally, they all lurch into the player playing an instrument against existing instruments. Although "I" know the background tracks are already played; when new instruments get added (ie: bass/keyboard); then I feel cheated because there is still old stuff going on that "I" did not see played.

Perhaps a flashback may be required, to "show" part of the earlier backing tracks being created. I am rambling, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    May I offer one suggestion about scenes with the guitar.

The video provides a good collection of the types of standard angles which electric guitarists find themselves filmed. It is hard for Camera operators to stand too close to players or get strange angles.

But in a DIY situation, there are several more interesting possible angles. For example:
    Seeing the left and right hands from the guitarists viewpoint. Or the right hand from a camera near the jack socket.

I have seen alot of Youtube of folk making DIY music. Generally, they all lurch into the player playing an instrument against existing instruments. Although "I" know the background tracks are already played; when new instruments get added (ie: bass/keyboard); then I feel cheated because there is still old stuff going on that "I" did not see played.

Perhaps a flashback may be required, to "show" part of the earlier backing tracks being created. I am rambling, sorry.
    No, thanks.