Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using a tv screen as a green screen

Default Using a tv screen as a green screen

I have had limited success photographing small characters (toy figures) against green screen for use in my animations. Up until now I have had to laboriously cut them out within photoshop elements and save them with a transparent background. Whilst this works very well, its a long process. I have tried using a green screen but the results have never been any good. Until this evening that is when an idea struck me.

On my PC I created a solid pure green image and sized it for my HD tv display screen (1080 HD). I used my PS3 to display the image on screen and then set my character on top of a glass on a table some distance away from the tv screen. I then set my camera on a tripod and zoomed onto my figure so that it filled the frame. The background was just the green display on the tv. I then lit my character with a single light from the front. I used a two second self timer and manual focus and exposure on F8. I then rotated the character as I normally do taking snaps.

The snaps required minimal tidying in photoshop, just a little around the feet of the model where the glass was in view, however, as it was a clear glass most of it was already green as the light shone through from the tv.

Once done I imported them into Premier Elements and applied the green screen effect. The results were much better than I expected. I may post a short clip later showing the results. Just thought I would pass it on in case you need to green screen an item and you don't have a green screen. Clearly, using the tv screen you can have whatever colour screen you need.

Shrimpy

Blog Entries

Great tip. What better way to ensure and evenly lit pure colour.
    Logical and simple - just needed someone to realise that.
    The force is with you. (But please don't make lightsabre movies)
    Tim

Genius

Here is a demo of the green screen results. Its not going to win any oscars but at least it shows the results of using the tv. Its not 100% but its close enough for my needs.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vNlXcMBBvg]YouTube - Greenscreen Test[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Great tip. What better way to ensure and evenly lit pure colour.
    Logical and simple - just needed someone to realise that.
    The force is with you. (But please don't make lightsabre movies)
    And you have just pointed out why this was successful, because the green television screen produced its own light, was even, and the subject illuminated by a separate light. The same principle applies to effectively using a real green screen; light it separately and evenly, and keep the subject out and away from the screen and light the subject separately. I applaud the intuitive success of Shrimpy for discovering a small object, low budget chroma-key system. Truly a testament to the ingenuity of the editing masters who grace these forums.
    Last edited by worddigger; 01-23-2010 at 08:42 AM.

Thanks Digger, thats praise indeed coming from the green screen guru

Shrimpy

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    Thanks Digger, thats praise indeed coming from the green screen guru

Shrimpy
    I just wish someone (hopefully me) will figure out a way to self-illuminate a hanging green screen, so that it produces its own, even light. This would eliminate the need for external lighting, and provide for easier, sharper green screen work. Of course, it would probably cost a friggin fortune to just develop the prototype. Same principle as your TV system, but on a larger scale.

Heck, for that matter, it may be easier and cheaper to project an intense green light on a smooth white surface and achieve the same result, a lot cheaper. Shrimpy, I think you have stumbled onto something here. A commercial slide projector and a green transparency slide would do the trick. The lighting would be even all the way across, up and down, and that would be a lot easier to setup, lighting wise. What think ye?
    Last edited by worddigger; 01-23-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: additional madness

I think it might work Digger, I have a couple of those mood lights from Phillips. I was going to try them against a white wall but I dont have a suitable wall at my place. They are very good lights, LED and you can select whatever colour you want. They are designed to sit on the floor and illuminate the wall.

I have 2 of these. As you can see, you can link upto 6 of them and they all project the same shade of colour from the remote control.

Philips Shop UK - Clear LED lamp

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    What think ye?
    I think the only way to get the lighting even would be for the projector to be projecting from in front of the centre of the screen.
    Which, of course, would mean you can't put the subject in front of the screen.
    So, to overcome this you need two or more projectors. In which case you might as well light a green screen.

No back projection might work (but then you'd need a screen again)
    Tim

Yes, if it was a slide projector it would have to be ceiling mounted so that the subject was not caught in the beam. The room would also need to be large enough to get a sufficient size from the projector and extra space for the subject to be filmed.

The mood lights are designed to be placed close to a wall. We have them either side of our tv in the lounge and with them angled slightly facing inwards they turn a large section of wall whatever colour we want.

I reckon with 4 of them, you could illuminate an area plenty big enough for most needs. I would envisage them being mounted on stands, two on the floor and the other two higher.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast