Thread: New to the Video Editing World

Default New to the Video Editing World

Well I just started to make this new music video w/ premiere. I used to work w/ Premiere alot back when I had time. Now that I have time again, and a brand new computer, I'm starting back up. Well I've started making this new video, but when I preview the video...it seems choppy, like really slow moving. I'm wondering why it's doing that, is it my graphics card? I mean the computer has 200 gigs, 512 Ram, and its 2.5 Ghz. Does anyone have any suggestions on what may be wrong? Ohh...and sometimes, when I close and re-open my project it doesn't seem to find the video file I was working with, so sometimes I have to start all over again. Ehh...if you can help me out, thank you.

Blog Entries

Are you using DV AVI in your project? Are the properties of your imported files the same as those of your project? Have you rendered the timeline?

Well the file i'm using is a '.avi' that I can only play on my Divx Player.
    I haven't rendered the work area yet.
    "Are the properties of your imported files the same as those of your project?" I'm not sure what you mean by that, how do I figure out if the properties are the same?

Blog Entries

From what you say, this won't be DV AVI and you will have to render the timeline to see playback as it should be.

Ok, so I rendered the work area, but as soon as that's done, a Run Time Error happens...kinda dissapointing. I still can't open a saved document, the only way to do that is to import the Timeline with the files, then I can open it.

Well I finally figured out what was wrong. Anyway, thanks alot!

Well...I have another problem, now Premiere wont even let me load a video onto it, it just freezes the whole computer. Any Solutions? Ohh yeah, I'm trying to make the video using Advanced Windows Media, is this affecting it? Cause the reason why the last video was so choppy was because the screen size was too big for the video so I lowered it to 320x240. Because then its on the 720 by whatever, the videos SOMETIMES are able to load, but most of the time, the computer freezes. Well I appreciate any help I receive, thank you very much.

A PC of that spec should be able to hadle a DVD resolution file no problem - my 1.7GHz P4 can do it... sounds like you might want to either defragment your hard drive, possibly do a system restore to an earlier point if you're using WinXP, or maybe even re-load your operating system?

Of course, it's slightly possible it could be a hardware fault, possibly with your RAM? It's probably worth downloading MemTest86 from www.memtest86.com and running that - see what it says there.