Thread: Freelance Query

Default Freelance Query

Hi all,

I'm completely new to forums and threads and so on so please forgive me if I seem a bit slow on here.

I'm 22 and just finished university, I am now currently work for a small media company but I want to do freelance work as well as a visual effects artist (3D & 2D compositing), motion graphics and editor. I think I'm pretty good at it and feel confident in myself to provide these skills for companies. The trouble is I don't know how to set prices out; do I need to have fixed prices e.g. 10 per hour for editing or do I wait for the job to be outlined and then provide a cost.

I recently called a company who had seen my work and they were interested in my services but they asked me to send over a list of prices...Without being taken for a ride by this company, what do I do?

Thanks

Robbi

Have you googled a few video companies websites. They will often have prices on their site. Just to give you an idea. You have to learn to get a fair price for a good product by looking at what others are charging but also what is economical for you based on your costs, Your time, Materials, Expenses, Travel costs etc all have to be taken into account when working out what to charge a customer. All this within the restraints of what the market is willing to pay.

I'm not in the video business but I've been in business for longer than you've been born.

Give a really good service with a product that works for the customer and you will soon get a good reputation.

Good luck.

Blog Entries

Other considerations which you may be aware of but it's worth spelling them out:

Are you doing this for the end user or is the company who likes your work a video company subbing it out to you. If the latter your rates would be likely be lower as you're not getting the work/taking the ownership of the project etc.

Who will own the work when it's complete?

And get a contract.

I'm sure Midnight would agree with the above. Video editing/compositing/graphics, like anything else "artsy" or "crafty" is only part of the story (some might say a small part) when you're trying to make a lining from it.
    Tim

I concur Dr Tim.

I don't think I will own the work it is being subbed out to me through the company.

I was thinking of setting a standard rate of 15 per hour for either editing or VFX. As a freelancer carrying out that kind of work, I would be using my PC at home where I have everything I would use; so as far as I can see there are no other rates I need to bear in mind apart from possible render times.

No specific job has been given to me yet the company requested my prices to bear me in mind for potential work.

P.S thanks for the feedback guys

Robbi

Well at 15 per hour you would have to work a full 40 hour week every week to give you a take home wage after tax of 23,452.20

SOURCE

AND that doesn't cover any expences.

Blog Entries

15 per hour is WAY too low. That's only twice what you'd get collecting shopping trollies at Tescos.

How much does a plumber, electician or mobile mechanic charge? The teenager who comes to fix your computer will be charging at least 50 an hour. You've got a trade and should charge accordingly. As any businessman will tell you, if you go in too cheap then (a) the client thinks you're no good, (b) you get all the crap jobs and (c) you're treated like dirt.

I suggest that you should have an absolute minimum hourly rate of 25, quote them 35 but suggest that you're willing to negotiate or are thinking about offering a lower rate to start with.

Working as a freelancer can be tricky. You have to be reasonable to yourself and the clients you work with, I'd say 10 per hour for editing is quite low. Maybe consider 15 per hour, that's what I charge and I'm a freelance writer. It depends on how much you aim to earn annually from this freelance work, earning a full-time income can be challenging and as a self-employed worker you have to take tax deductions into consideration.

If you can supplement your freelance work by adding on an extra job you may be able to pay less tax or no tax at all. The threshold in the UK is 11,500 for a personal allowance, use this tax calculator to work out how much you should be charging hourly and how much of that you'd get to take home: https://www.income-tax.co.uk/after-tax/1100/,

Hope this helps
    Last edited by EvieG2017; 11-11-2017 at 05:56 PM.

Regarding the price I second R. Rob i.e. "minimum hourly rate of 25, quote them 35 but suggest that you're willing to negotiate".
    It is also good to keep in mind what Evie mentioned about the tax threshold. If you are just doing a few side jobs and keep that income under 11,500 you don't pay tax over that extra income a.f.a.i.k.. This means you can possibly ask an even lower rate as well though I still think you shouldn't go below 25 unless you have a very good reason.

Small example of going for a low rate:
    I recently accepted a job almost at cost in regards to travel time plus shooting/editing and travel costs. My "very good reasoning" is that this project will most likely turn into something much bigger. I did however agree with my client that once it does turn big I would be kept on for the project and the rate would be renegotiated.
    If you do have an option like this don't hesitate to negotiate and definitely get the agreement in writing, even if it's just an e-mail.
    The cats are watching us...