Thread: software with a good timeline feature

Default software with a good timeline feature

i'm looking for a software that like if you're working with multiple clips and you want to preview a bunch of frames from the clip at a glance, you can do that and maybe even have control over like the interval for each frame, like every 5 seconds or 10 seconds. I have a lot of clips to work with and i wanted to get a feel for what was shown in each video, by looking at a frames for every 5 seconds or so. And than edit those videos accordingly and than mix them together in a certain order. I tried sony vegas for this but it either lets you see 3 frames or way too many. And that wouldn't be so bad except u have to wait for it to load each time u scroll through a page of them. Anyways i've done more searches for software with a good timeline or storyboard type feature but haven't seen much, so would be kinda surprised if there really isn't much out there that does that.

So any software that would help in doing this? Otherwise i'm just thinking of trying to find a program that'll atleast create a slideshow or series of images i can preview. Or just using virtual dub to edit the clips before importing to sony vegas.

Download the trial version of Adobe Prem4, see if that does it for yeah!

Did anyone else get what this user was on about? am so confused

If you want to hold a frame for 10 seconds just take a snapshot of it and put it on the time line.

sorry i thought i gave enough info, but maybe that made it more confusing. Basically in a nutshell, i want to have a way to see a series of frames from video clips i have, that progress every 5 seconds (or a user defined interval). I'd like to see that in all the clips, i have like 18 i could use. So i'm thinking i import the clips into the timeline right? And than see some frames from each clip, not too many but enough where i know what's going on.

Ideally i'd like to see the frames from those clips, which would help me start figuring out which one would be first and 2nd and so on. And also while thinking of that i'd like to be able to set start and end times inside a clip, to trim it a bit (while they're still separated and the clips aren't all joined together yet). And than add them together and add some transitions between the clips and that'd be it. I'd like it if i could like set a start and end time inside the clip that doesn't like automatically delete the other parts but just skips the parts that aren't in that selection incase i want to make the start time earlier or end time later etc. But the main thing is seeing the frames from each video, because i have so many to work with. Even if i had to manually export frames from each video every 5 seconds and than somehow make those lower resolution and add them to one final picture, and do that for each video so i had it all infront of me. I'd rather do that if it's not possible with the software.

K well i don't know if that explained it enough, if not, here's another way. Instead of previewing one video clip at a time, like just moving the slider really fast through a video to see what's going on, i'd like to see a series of frames from each video. I did try to take notes what was in each video but that isn't as helpful.

Anyways i saw a video of adobe premiere elements that looked pretty cool, atleast for how it lets you add transitions. But idk about it for anything else. But i think adobe premiere elements is better than adobe premiere right? Also i heard avid is good and i've seen software like power director mentioned or corel video suite or avid etc. So many different ones but idk which one would do the frame thing i'd want and also at the same time be easy to trim and add transitions.

You can choose different thumbnail setting on the clips on the time line in Vegas by going to Options/Preferences/Video and change the Thumbnail to show in video events to all or heads/centre/tails or what ever you prefer. You can zoom in and out of the time line to see more or less thumb nails.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    You can choose different thumbnail setting on the clips on the time line in Vegas by going to Options/Preferences/Video and change the Thumbnail to show in video events to all or heads/centre/tails or what ever you prefer. You can zoom in and out of the time line to see more or less thumb nails.
    wow thanks, that's exactly what i was looking for, gives you a lot of control over the display of frames after changing that video event setting to all. Well that's pretty much all i needed. Oh ya gotta figure out how to control the start and stop times for each clip, which should be a lot easier to figure out. Only way i can figure out that now is with creating sub clips. And besides that just want to add on an audio track but wish i could like move it in a way where the middle of it would line up with the beginning of the video, so i can keep previewing if i want to start the later part of the audio track or more towards the beginning, but not at the actual beginning. If anyone could shed any light on that i'd appreciate it, i plan to try to google the answers but doesn't always work out like with my initial problem i found like nothing on more frames in timeline etc. Or if anyone could link me to any real good tutorials for vegas, i'd appreciate that too.

btw i'm just curious if anyone thinks there's any better video editors than vegas like avid or adobe premiere elements, and even if there is, are they only a tiny bit better or would they be a lot better? I'm new to video editting and want to make sure i'm using a good program to start with.