Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harddisc setup?

Default Harddisc setup?

I have a Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB disc as my only disc atm. I was having some problems with editing AVCHD and people in here was suggesting that I should get another disc in order to get better performance and avoid problems when editing (AVCHD material).

I was thinking to buy another similar disc, but I am now considering if I should grab a smaller fast SSD - for example the "cheap" Kingston v-series 128 gb.

This is not so much space, but do you think it would be a good solution to use that kingston disc for Windows and Adobe CS4 and maybe some more programs depending on how much space I have left - and then have the remaining stuff installed on my old disc (like a few games) aswell as storing the video clips?

Or would it be better to buy a larger, but slower, disc and have all programs/games/etc. installed on that one, and then use my old disc only as storage?

Thanks in advance

Default SDD Drive for OS Defo......

That only has read & write speeds of 80/100 MB per sec.......You can Do a lot better, even though supplied in the kit they have drive cloning software, which is nice, but not a reason to buy.

128GB SSDNow V-Series SATA2 2.5" - upgrade Kit SNV125-S2BN ...
    Read: upto 80MB/s
    Write: upto 100MB/s
    with bundled notebook upgrade kit

Check these out

128GB Corsair Extreme Series X128 2.5" SSD
    Read: up to 240 MB/sec
    Write: up to 170 MB/sec

128GB Samsung PB22-J 2.5" SSD
    Read: up to 220 MB/sec
    Write: up to 200 MB/sec

Intel X25-M Mainstream 160GB SATA
    2.5 inch Solid-State Drive with Installation Kit (Internal) for Notebook and Desktop PC Storage (Retail Box)

up to 250MB/s Sequential Read & up to 100MB/s Sequential Write
    1yr warranty; 150mW Power Consumption (acive); 1,200,000 hours MTBF

I have got Samsung PB22-J - I am happy with not the fastest on the market but a good performer.

I remember reading a couple of months back that Adobe CS4 dosn't work on SSD. So according to Adobe this isn't an option for you. I will be testing this theory and working out why, and is there a possible work around, if this is the case. That is when I get chance to have a play, the technical side at first glance the drive is SATA; and it shouldn't really matter. But there maybe more too it then that. However in due cause; Adobe will have to support these drives as there the future.

In the meantime this is what I suggest you do, If you can afford to buy a SSD Please do, this will boost your performance no end. As these drive are around 5x faster than normal hdd's.
    All your OS and system functions and caching will be a lot faster, what a boost to you system. You will be impressed, now you should consider your options available to you.

Consider these....

1st Option

Drive 0 OS SSD, partion this into two drive use other for OS system the other for working files when your editing. Hi Def files are large, as pointed out to me by another forum member, because of this this method id only suitable for Standard Def

Add on standard HDD as required....

2nd Option

Drive 0 SSD for OS

Drive 1 Raptore Drive for Working files - Size is also an issue here
    300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor 2.5" Hard Disk Drive

If thats big enough for you

Drive 2+ Standard HDD as required for storage.

3rd Option

Drive 0 SSD for OS
    Drive 1+ Standard HDD as required for storage and working files

Depends how much you have to spend, the raptor drive is the next best thing to SSD. with faster access and read & write speeds

But DEFFO SSD for OS.......
    Last edited by zandebar; 01-21-2010 at 11:41 AM.

Thanks for your nice reply

Your third option is probably what suits me best as I could use my old disc and only buy one new. Then I could maybe in the future buy another one. I'd like to ask you one thing though.

I might have misunderstood it a bit, but when people recommend to buy a seperate disc to store video files, then the reason behind this is just to have the OS on a different disc than the video files? It's not so important if Adobe CS4 is on the same disc as the video files?

The 128GB/160GB SSD's are a bit to expensive for me atm, but the Intel X25-M 80GB or Corsair Extreme Series X64 64 GB is within an acceptable price range. I guess these are ok aswell?

Yeah! You can only buy what you can afford.... If thats all you can afford then yes...

You also need to move your data of the C: Drive

And you need to check the size of C drive, as you need to know is C drive going to fit your new SSD drive.

Two Options

1) Clean Install of OS (better Option)
    2) Clone Old C Drive to SSD - If your installation is older then 6-12 then option 1 is better

I would use option one anyway; cloning is faster..

If you use option one; take an image at 2 stages 1 after OS install and the other when you have the system as you want it. Make backups of these images and store them, for when they are needed. Don't forget to activate windows before you do, also bare in mind.

That you can only change 3 pieces of hardware, otherwise when you come to restore windows from the backup, this image won't work. Windows thinks the installation is dodgy, pirates look what you have done!

Basically; and the main reason why people say; put your files on a separate disk.

Is that the HDD is mechanical, and C Drive is accessed all the time by the OS.

There is a higher risk of data corruption on C drive because of all the OS activity.
    Placing your data on a different drive to the OS reduces the risk of data corruption.

Always properly maintain your system

SSD is a much better option as its faster, more reliable than the traditional HDD.
    However; SSD are not perfect and do suffer from logic gate failure...this is prolonged use of the logic gate. Its a bit like charging a battery; you only get so many charges on the cell.

When your SSD beings to fail its time to replace it, rember I told you earlier to make backups..

Not to scare you; I would much rather have a SSD than a HDD, there more reliable, then magnetic media.
    Last edited by zandebar; 01-21-2010 at 01:53 PM.

Im gonna do a clean installation of the OS anyways, since I'm gonna try out Windows 7

Just to be 100% sure, it doesn't matter that the Adobe CS4 installation and the video files are on the same disc then?

On install of adobe; select installation disk....but not C Drive, when it asks you too.
    I would make a folder called Program Files on another disk and put all your software there. And Data on another drive. You don't have too would make life easier though, am thinking of backups...

Remember its important to leave enough room for your swap file/scratch disk... So leave about 10-20 gig free space on SSD.

Ok thank you

So what I end up doing is to buy the Intel 80GB SSD, install windows on it and then I use my old disc for all other software and video files - and then maybe add another disc in the future only for video files.

Yes exactly....

One thing I didn't make clear;

There are a number of factors whilst editing, windows has to access system files read and write.
    The application needs to access its program files; read and write. The file been edited needs to be read and write.

If these are on separate disks; the who process is faster because of access time to the files concerned. If its all on the same disk, it will work but performance is degraded. As the computer has to do every thing of one HDD, whilst doing different tasks. As it can only access one piece of date at a time. Separating this will speed access time, as it will have 3 storage devices to access independently.

So a simple way of speeding up your system is.

1) 1st Drive for OS Preferably SSD

2) 2nd Drive for application....partitions don't count. (ok on SSD as no moving parts, just memory reads & writes).

3) 3rd Drive For Data/Working files

The faster the read and write the better, so it can be delivered in to the system.

There other things to consider, but thats the basics, you also wanna back up important data to another drive. And never use it, only use it for backups...the less drive access time on this drive the better.
    Last edited by zandebar; 01-22-2010 at 11:31 AM.

Maybe I should consider buying a Samsung spinpoint F3 1TB disc aswell. They're not very expensive - though it all adds up if I need to buy a SSD for the OS.

Another cheaper option could be to buy two Samsungs (or some other regular 7200 rpm disc) and then use one for OS, one for apps. and my old one for data storage?

But if this latter option is slower than having an SSD for OS and then my old disc for everything else - I'd take the SSD since 2xSamsung F3 vs. 1 SSD is not that much of a saving, but if 3 HDD's is superior to 1SSD+1HDD I am getting in doubt.

Sorry for all my questions, but I find it a bit difficult to identify what the best solution right now would be

I would stick to the SSD if I was you.

Ok the SSD

Option 1

80GB Intel X25-M Mainstream 2.5" SSD
    Much sought after SSD, now in stock!!!
    Read: up to 250 MB/sec
    Write: up to 70 MB/sec

Around 190

500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Hard Disk Drive
    16MB Cache
    OEM - Drive Only

Around 40

Around Total 230

Option 2

64GB Samsung PB22-J 2.5" SSD (Not as big granted, perfect for OS)
    Read: up to 220 MB/sec
    Write: up to 120 MB/sec

Around 150

500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Hard Disk Drive
    16MB Cache
    OEM - Drive Only

Around 40

Around Total 190

The 64GB Samsung PB22-J 2.5, is perfectly good for you and slightly cheaper as well. In some cases better than the intel as having faster write. For what you are doing this is a FINE! SSD for you.....

I would say that I have one

Go for a 500GB get a 1 TB later get the best out of your budget....No point getting the fastest drive and then being strangled on access time..

When you buy more HDD more storage or a backup drive.....

Also consider removable bays for your HDD's makes swapping HDDS a breeze!
    Last edited by zandebar; 01-22-2010 at 01:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast