Thread: video production work experience

1. Default video production work experience

hi all

Ive been offerd some work experience doing video production for publishing company who do videos for their site. Im interested but would like to ask any one who works in this field. I love video editing and filming and ive been told i will be going to film events working on video shoots and marketing the final piece can anyone else give me an idea of what its like and if it mainly practical. I know u will not be able to tell me exact as if may be a different area but any info will be much help
    Cheers
    Posted via Mobile Device

Blog Entries

So you're saying that you'll be working for free.

If it's a case of you watching and maybe doing a bit of "running" then I have no problem with "work experience". If you do ANY filming or editing then you MUST get paid.

"Any fool can work for nothing and many a fool does."

In other words if you do ANYTHING for free which a kid off the street couldn't do... you're giving them something for nothing and they're treating you as a mug!

3. Default

cheers gaffer, im gona speak to the main guy there and get a full low down of what i'll be doing and see if it is anything over i should be doin,
    Do you think doing the work experience would help in the future for getting any jobs, just to show i have a keen interest

Cheers
    Posted via Mobile Device

Blog Entries

Personally... I doubt it.

When it comes to serious production companies they're interested in your education and then what paid work you've undertaken. Unpaid work tells them nothing about you, apart from the fact that you weren't good enough to get a paid job. It may be useful for a week or two to see how this particular company works but make sure you get a reference while you're still working for the company. Once you leave there's no incentive for these cheapo firms to give you a written reference.

I would say never work for more than a week without getting paid. Two weeks if it's interesting. Ignore all comments to the effect of "If you do this for nothing, on our next project we'll be able to pay you." Yeah, right!

5. Default

cheers Gaffer
    If its interesting i may do like u said and give a week but make sure i get a referance.
    Cheers for your help Gaffer
    Posted via Mobile Device