Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: General Questions

Default General Questions

If my source video is 24p should I set my project to 24fps or 23.976?
    Why am I an editor? ...because I'm a bad filmer!
    ☮ ♫ ☾ ☆ ☼ ☯ ~ Live Long & Prosper

Basically I shot a video out the window driving down the highway of the snow on the trees and after its rendered the detail is completely gone. I'm assuming its a frame rate issue but I've tried them all. It was shot in 1080-24P

Often when something is quoted as 24P, it is in reality 23.976fps. It's just a lot easier to say 24 rather than 23.976 fps. To answer your question I would look through the manual of your camera and see if they really meant 24fps or 23.976fps.

As for loosing detail after rendering I would have thought that would be more to do with the rendering settings, bit rate etc. I know different cameras and software will pull down frames differently and I don't know anything about this apart from my own camera.

The frame rate would maybe cause some judder, smoothness of motion or flicker but not usually be the cause of loosing overal picture quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Often when something is quoted as 24P, it is in reality 23.976fps. It's just a lot easier to say 24 rather than 23.976 fps. To answer your question I would look through the manual of your camera and see if they really meant 24fps or 23.976fps.

As for loosing detail after rendering I would have thought that would be more to do with the rendering settings, bit rate etc. I know different cameras and software will pull down frames differently and I don't know anything about this apart from my own camera.

The frame rate would maybe cause some judder, smoothness of motion or flicker but not usually be the cause of loosing overal picture quality.
    Well thanks for that info, I just use the highest quality (like 35mbps) and tried both 24 and 23.976 so I'm not sure

We are going to need more info about your render setting like format etc.. may be screen shots of your settings would be best.

Angry

We are going to need more info about your render setting like format etc.. may be screen shots of your settings would be best.
    Ok, scratch that I have a much more important project that has the same problem.
    Original files are .MTS (AVCHD) Data Rate: 15414kbps
    Rendering XDCAM EX .MP4 1920x1080-24P 35mbps(VBR) - PAR 1.000

Here's a screen shot of the original file on the right monitor and the rendered on the left monitor:
    (Its not the same exact frame but all the frames are clear on the original)
    http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/a...Teebo/test.png

Also.... JPG files sometimes wont show up just black, could it be because the resolution is 4000x3000 on the pictures? I figured it would auto down size it but do you think that could be the cause?
    Last edited by PinkFloydEffect; 01-20-2010 at 08:57 PM.

Let me set things straight with you, I'm not an expert in this sort of thing. With that said here is what I think. Take it or leave it.

I have always thought of mpeg4 as a YouTube level format. Even then I don't use it. I always use mpeg2 for YouTube. You have to expect some loss in quality if you are compressing your files, even if you set the highest settings. If you want to keep the same quality try rendering with a lossless .avi format for best picture quality but expect bigger file sizes.

The problem with the photo is not something I've had a problem with. You are right to expect Vegas to automatically re-size it. It does for me. Sorry I can't help with that.

Let me set things straight with you, I'm not an expert in this sort of thing. With that said here is what I think. Take it or leave it.

I have always thought of mpeg4 as a YouTube level format. Even then I don't use it. I always use mpeg2 for YouTube. You have to expect some loss in quality if you are compressing your files, even if you set the highest settings. If you want to keep the same quality try rendering with a lossless .avi format for best picture quality but expect bigger file sizes.

The problem with the photo is not something I've had a problem with. You are right to expect Vegas to automatically re-size it. It does for me. Sorry I can't help with that.
    I will never hold you against anything you say I'm very grateful to get any communication here becuase apparently I'm a dumass.

I had no idea MP4 was a form of compression, so go with MPEG2 or AVI (if I have the space) but always try to use AVI first if space is not a concern?

So are my .MTS source files just MPEG2 containers?

THANKYOU!

Tried both with no luck. AVI tops out at 1.99GB almost immediately. My MPEG2 option was:

"MainConcept MPEG-2 (.mpg .m2v .m2t .mpa)"
    Template: HDV 1080-24p (there's all kinds of options you can change I've been fooling with them all) but I just cant get it as clear as the original takes its so agrivating.

Theres I & B frame setting that can be higher
    Profile setting that can be higher
    Level setting that can be higher
    I set it to Video quality HIGH & used VBR rather than consistent (better right? Vbr?) but then there's VBR settings as well.
    Video rendering quality: Best

The original files are AVCHD should it maybe rendered with a 3rd party codec from panasonic?
    Last edited by PinkFloydEffect; 01-21-2010 at 06:28 AM.

You'll always get the best result, by recompressing as little as possible. Are you using the Sony AVCHD template? It's much better than the standard one. (and will give you an .mts at the mo you're getting .mp4?) If you could experiment with that template to get a "No compression" message would be great. Not saying it can be done though if you're using a Panny codec.

Remember AVCHD is a HIGHLY compressed format. Trying to UNcompress it isn't going to give you better quality.

IMHO, VBR is only better if using the '2 pass' method.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast