Thread: m2ts files

Default m2ts files

my Sony Handycam creates a m2ts file when recording at high definition.

The video is mpeg4, however, my pc cannot recognize the audio. If I use Sony's converter to create mpeg files, it will then play audio, uploading the raw m2ts file to youtube results in successful audio rendering. The audio plays fine off the Handycam. However, G-spot says there is no audio present.

Does anyone know the audio codec I need to playback the m2ts file? Where can I find it?

I do not want to convert the file if I don't have to!!

do a search for a player that plays that file type...... plenty of free players out there

m2ts is a container file. Almost anything will "play" it with the right codec.

NB - this camcorder is NOT recording in high definition. It is sd not hd.

Quote Originally Posted by vertovian View Post
    NB - this camcorder is NOT recording in high definition. It is sd not hd.

Sorry for the confusion, I got this quote from their product description:
    "Record 1080i high definition video directly to a 3" DVD with the HDR-UX5 HD Handycam® camcorder. Capture and relive your memories in full 5.1 channel surround sound."

The camera has 1080i printed all over it and I selected HD when formating the disc...

Its was a shortcut so you can play your files (for now), as some players have the codecs embeded (inculding the one to play m2ts files). I know what m2ts is, just a thought to help you out. Don't wanna sound mean, am not going to do the leg work and find the codec for you. Searches in google should point you in the right direction. You need to know player version, also make sure your OS is upto date.

That was the first thing I did, I Thought between, coreAVC and my AC3Filter, something would be able to play it. I have tried WMC, WMP, MPC, DIVX, and VLC. My next step is to maybe try PowerDVD, but it would be really nice if I just knew the codec!

The video plays fine on my pc, but no audio.

Quote Originally Posted by futang44 View Post
    That was the first thing I did, I Thought between, coreAVC and my AC3Filter, something would be able to play it. I have tried WMC, WMP, MPC, DIVX, and VLC. My next step is to maybe try PowerDVD, but it would be really nice if I just knew the codec!

The video plays fine on my pc, but no audio.
    Whats your PC spec ? and your software?

in the mean time look for a M2TS player in google... So you can just play them in the mean time....

Work on the codec you need later, I find M2TS works fine for me in windows media player.

Just get yourself going first then worry about it.

You mentioned that the cam created the m2ts file; do you have sound option that you can configure in camera? is one I would look at

I had the very same problem; the other way round, I had sound but no picture.
    Last edited by zandebar; 01-19-2010 at 09:47 PM.

WMC=Windows media Center, available through Vist and 7 ultimate and home Premium editions.
    WMP= Windows Media Player, Newest version.
    MPC= Media Player Classic, My favorite
    VLC= Other media player, (I don't care for this product)

I have 2 pc's I have tried to play this file on

Windows XP sp3
    3.0 ghz core 2 duo
    2gb ram
    GeForce 9800 GTS
    Intel motherboard integrated 5.1 channel surround

Lenovo T61
    2.6 Centrino
    4gb RAM Vista Ultimate

Both devices play the video fine, in 1080i, but neither will play the audio without first converting the file to mpeg. The video camera plays both a/v fine over the HDMI output. I just can't get my pc to play the unedited file's audio....

Try Windows media player classic - Home Cinema. It's free.

Media Player Classic - Home Cinema - Video Player