Thread: Driving mistake

1. Question Driving mistake

Hello everyone!

I'v been working on a video in which there is a scene where someone is driving at night. Unfortunately due to the circumstances of the road at that time we had to shoot it with the car stationary. I shot it from the inside of the car and was very carful to show the windows as little as possible, But in one of the shots you can see a piece of the side drivers window and it becomes obvious that the car is not moving.

So I was wondering if there is any way that I could fix this in post? I tried playing with the brightness and contrast and did some color correction to try and make the window look darker but it hasn't really helped. I also tried masking the window but it looks really unnatural.
    Any Ideas?

Thanks,
    Keller

P.S. I wasn't sure whether to put this in Cinematography or in editing so i apologize if it isn't in the right place.
    Keller Nunley
    KS Films
    www.Kellersmeller.com

You could try this:
    Make a duplicate of the clip and put it above the original on a new track.
    Make a mask on the window on this new track and put a motion blur or defocus on it.
    Then may be put some track motion via key frames on it.

I'm not sure how convincing it will look.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 01-20-2010 at 02:01 PM.

yeah I would do the same that Midnight Blue said, I would even go one step more and try to add either a filter that creates some horizontal movement or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    yeah I would do the same that Midnight Blue said, I would even go one step more and try to add either a filter that creates some horizontal movement or something.
    If you have the luxury to re-shoot the scene, place a green screen outside the car so that only a green screen is seen through the window. Re-shoot. Next, go out in a moving car at night and film some footage of the scenery going by at night, just as it would appear if looking out of the car window in question. Then, soften the moving scenery video to give it an out of focus look, then key that footage in over the green screen portion of your in the car scene. Do it right and it will look very real.

If you can't re-shoot the scene, then the only way to salvage it would be to rotoscope the window out and key in the moving scenery.

what worddigger said...

Basically you should live by the following rule (borrowed from someone i respect) on occasions such as this.

"If you film something and think I'll fix it in post without knowing exactly HOW you will fix it in post you WILL end up reshooting it!"

Blog Entries

What is the length of the shot? Is there any chance you could use a cutway for the period? For example an exterior shot, or close up of someone else?

7. Smile

I tried doubling up the video and masking it and that helped a lot. it still doesn't quite look the way i wanted it to but i shortened the clip as much as i could so i think it will do.
    Thanks for everyones help!
    Keller
    Keller Nunley
    KS Films
    www.Kellersmeller.com

Did you put in the track motion that I forgot to mention earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    "If you film something and think I'll fix it in post without knowing exactly HOW you will fix it in post you WILL end up reshooting it!"
    Oh, how true! Been there, done that, got the T-shirt!

Worddigger; hey you might have a merchandising IDEA....lol

WorddiggerQUIBS.com LOL
    Last edited by zandebar; 01-22-2010 at 05:25 PM.