Thread: Vegas video import - squished video!

Default Vegas video import - squished video!

Hi guys, I just signed up as I am a pretty regular Vegas user and just recently came across a funky issue after using my new capture card. I can't seem to find any help elsewhere so hopefully you can give me a hand!

I recently purchased a Blackmagic Intensity Pro capture card. I am recording some footage from PS3 and Xbox 360 with it, and using the Compressed Motion JPG format. However, when I import the video into Vegas, I have a really annoying issue in that it gets squished to half size for no apparant reason! I've worked with many videos in the past with no problem, only this particular way of capturing results in a video which gets squished.

Just FYI also, the videos play fine in WMP and a bunch of other programs, they look great and crisp. Now I want to work with them, but the squishing appears to be the only issue holding me back. What a bottleneck!

I've attached a screengrab to show you what I mean (with a second, non-squished clip to show that other videos work). This is a pretty big issue so if there's any hlep you can offer I'd greatly appreciate it! Please ask me any troubleshooting questions if you need some more info. Thanks!

OK . . .

Odd one this. It is squished from just one direction? Haven't seen this before. Most peculiar indeed. If it was some form of PAR change then I would have thought that this would have been apparent in EITHER the vertical axis OR the horizontal axis - but at least it would have been an equal "squish". Here it looks like a Monty Python FOOT has stamped on it!

The only way I could repro this would be to have Vegas do a Track motion or Pan/Crop number on it. However from what you have provided for us, there isn't a clue as to you/Vegas having done this. Very odd . . . . .

I think that your 2 statements:-

A] "I've worked with many videos in the past with no problem, only this particular way of capturing results in a video which gets squished."

. .and . . .

B] "Just FYI also, the videos play fine in WMP and a bunch of other programs, they look great and crisp. Now I want to work with them, but the squishing appears to be the only issue holding me back. What a bottleneck!"

. . indicate that you could possibly be having some form of CODEC war going on and that the CODEC for the JPEG is somehow being suppressed from working within Vegas? In which case I am wondering if this is one of the options where enabling 3rd party "DV capture " CODEC would be beneficial. I am now really outside of my comfort zone.

Nasty . . . .

Questions:

1] Did you capture directly into VEgas?

or . .

2] Did you capture and then Import that capture into Vegas? Meaning - Did you use the Vegas Video Capture facility. I can't quite work this out from what you are saying?

3] The "correct" media, how did you capture that?

Thanks very much for your lengthy reply. I'll try to clarify some of these issues for you.

I didn't capture directly into Vegas. I used the program Blackmagic Media Express which came with my capture card. I captured directly onto my hard drive as Compressed Motion JPGs, and then simply dragged the file into Vegas, at which point it appears squished.

I believe your thoughts about the codecs are probably going to be the correct one. Here's an example. A friend recently used the same program and captured in the same format on my computer. We then did a file transfer to his computer, where he uses Premiere Pro for his editing. In that program, the same file is NOT squished. It is definitely Vegas which has the issue with the video. The trouble is, I don't know why it would appear squished the way it does, how to fix it or even if there is a way to fix it.

And yes, it is always squished from one direction. Top down, as seen in the screenshot.

I say codec.

So is there a way to update Vegas so that it supports the video properly? Or do I have to change the video itself?

I will leave specific advice to grazie as I am on thin ice when it comes to a fix - if it is a codec issue.

Blog Entries

Just to thow in my 2p.
    Squashed horizontally by 50%? Sounds to me like it's picling up only the odd or even frames for what it assumes is interlaced footage but displaying them as if they're from progressive footage.
    Dunno if that's true or how it helps, just a thought.
    Tim

That sounds very plausible