Thread: need opinion on New HD Setup

Default need opinion on New HD Setup

Greetings,
    Awesome site!I am about to upgrade my entire setup to HD and after many hours of research. I have come up with my three main components and would like opinions before I pull the trigger. This is just a hobby but I am willing to invest 2500.00-3000.00. I am currently using a 3-chip panasonic prosumer MiniDV Camera and an older Hi-8 to capture footage. I import and edit using pinnacle studio 8 with firewire from both cameras in mpeg2. My PC is pretty old but was a nice machine in it's day. Vaio 2.4ghz pentium 4 running XP SP3. I will probably try and turn this unit into an HTPC so any knowledge on that would be awesome too!

Ok now for the new stuff I think I want

PC:
    Dell Studio XPS 9000 1699.00
    Intel Core i7-920 processor(8MB L3 Cache, 2.66GHz)
    Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
    8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 4 DIMMs
    500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
    Dual Drives: Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner (Writes to DVD/CD/BD) and DVD+/-RW
    nVidia GeForce GTS 240 1024MB
    Soundblaster Titanium

Camera: Canon HV 40 HD MiniDV 699.00
    Software: Pinnacle Studio 14 ( I am used to using pinnacle) 100.00

Opinions greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

I was a Pinnacle man for years but I was brave enough to move on. I would recommend looking at something with a bit more flexibility than what Pinnacle gives you. I haven't used 14 but I presume it's still the same old stuff. Don't get me wrong I like Pinnacle but now that I use Sony Vegas Pro I realise the restraints Pinnacle was giving me.

It's not hard to move on to other software now that you know the basics, it's just a question of learning where the bits and bobs are to do what you want. I'm not saying go for Sony I'm saying try and broaden you out look. You can try many of the NLE's before you buy. I'm also a big fan of Edius 5 or (cheaper) Edius Neo, definitely worth a look.

Your computer hard ware seem fine, I am curious to know why you are down grading from a Prosumer to a consumer camera. What is the Panasonic you have ?

Pinnaccle... is for children - vegas is a real editor.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I was a Pinnacle man for years but I was brave enough to move on. I would recommend looking at something with a bit more flexibility than what Pinnacle gives you. I haven't used 14 but I presume it's still the same old stuff. Don't get me wrong I like Pinnacle but now that I use Sony Vegas Pro I realise the restraints Pinnacle was giving me.

It's not hard to move on to other software now that you know the basics, it's just a question of learning where the bits and bobs are to do what you want. I'm not saying go for Sony I'm saying try and broaden you out look. You can try many of the NLE's before you buy. I'm also a big fan of Edius 5 or (cheaper) Edius Neo, definitely worth a look.

Your computer hard ware seem fine, I am curious to know why you are down grading from a Prosumer to a consumer camera. What is the Panasonic you have ?
    Thanks for your input. I will try some of the different apps but the specs on the new pinnacle look great if you haven't seen them. Current cam is panasonic PV-GS70D. I think it's just consumer actually. I bought it at circuit city for 999.00 about 6 years ago. I plan on still using this as the three chips make a huge difference in color and clarity.

Er - your camera is SD - what is all this upgrade to hd talk? I am confused. I often am.

Quote Originally Posted by vertovian View Post
    Er - your camera is SD - what is all this upgrade to hd talk? I am confused. I often am.
    Getting a new camera also Canon HV 40 HD MiniDV 699.00

My first camera was a GS200 which I believe is very similar to the 70D great cameras for their time.

When looking for a new camera try and get one where the manual controls are not a pain in the butt to use. Your budget is a bit low for a really good new camera, have you considered a used one ?

8. Default

Diktek where did you buy your 699 Canon?

Check out my thread I wrote when I was building my tower

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/perfect...eon-vs-i7.html

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/perfect...l-pc-spec.html

Might help a little;

Also your budget.....on the computer.....

I would also consider faster memory and fast latency!!

Somthing like :-

Full Intel i7 and X58 Support
    1600MHz
    CAS 8-8-8-24

or

1600MHz
    CAS 7-7-7-20 (This is the faster one)

Also put OS on an SSD Drive..........

The i7 is great to over clock; I have over clocked mine and is stable.

Caution Should Be Taken When OVERCLOCKING
    Last edited by zandebar; 01-24-2010 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Javier33 View Post
    Diktek where did you buy your 699 Canon?
    I got it at Amazon. It came in the other day. Nice unit but since my new pc is not here i cant do anything in hd yet. Image still kills my old sony hi 8 in sd though.