Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novice needs help...

1. Default Novice needs help...

I've been using Windows Movie Maker (currently on Vista) for homemade DVDs for 2 years and am now having so much fun feel I need to make the next step. Ideally the software would not be overly complex and budget is 40 (perhaps optimistic?) The key features I need from the software are:
    i) something that can handle burning 30-45 minute DVDs without crashing or hanging (I can only burn 10 min DVDs in WMM before it hangs )
    ii) the ability to zoom in and out from ANY point on a photo (WMM dictates top right, top left etc)
    iii) when a video clip is playing the ability to switch to a photo slide show but keep the audio from the video clip playing in the background (storyboard in WMM only allows for one file, video or photo, to play at a time )
    iv) the ability to fade volume up and down in the middle of an audio track
    v) more lengthy fade at the start and end of audio tracks (WMM fades in and out in 1-2 seconds.. very abrupt!)
    I've done lots of research but can't find a product review that confirms the above functionality. More effects and transitions would also be great but I'm assuming any software will offer more than WMM.
    In summary, what seems particularly limiting in WMM is the ability to play different files simultaneously, e.g. audio, video and/or photos, and what you can do generally with audio.
    Any advice appreciated ...

Something like this will do what you need.

Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Something like this will do what you need.

Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9
    Seconded. And there are plenty of people here to help you out with it - so long as you are prepared to put in a bit of effort learning the product yourself.
    Tim

4. Default

Great, thanks. This looks the business and (Amazon) reviews would suggest this will give me just what I need. Time to dive in and move onto the next level...

Vegas - thirded.

6. Default

Vegas it is then, thanks. Final question... would I be fine to opt for the entry level Vegas 9, or would the Pro Pack be worth the extra money?

That depends entirely on the depth of your pocket and what you want to do with the software. I've only used the Pro version so I'm not fully familiar with the limitations. I think one of the mail limitations in the entry level is that you can only have 4 video tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazylegs View Post
    Vegas it is then, thanks. Final question... would I be fine to opt for the entry level Vegas 9, or would the Pro Pack be worth the extra money?
    Go for the Pro package. If you don't spend it now, you will later when you need the extra tracks and stuff.

Put me down as also recommending Vegas. Excellent recommendation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    Go for the Pro package. If you don't spend it now, you will later when you need the extra tracks and stuff.

Put me down as also recommending Vegas. Excellent recommendation.
    Digger mean Vegas Pro - this is NOT the same a the Pro Pack. Stupid SOny naming.

(Anyway it's cheaper to but movie studio and ungrade to Vegas Pro than to buy Vegas Pro outright!)
    Tim

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Digger mean Vegas Pro - this is NOT the same a the Pro Pack. Stupid SOny naming.

(Anyway it's cheaper to but movie studio and ungrade to Vegas Pro than to buy Vegas Pro outright!)
    Sorry, bit confused (probably being a bit dim). I can see the SV Movie Studio 9 (approx 45); SV Movie Studio 9 Pro Pack (approx 55) and the SV Pro 9 (approx 400).

Is the consensus (on my meagre budget) the Pro Pack at 55? (which for the extra 10 I'm more than happy to upgrade to).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast