Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon FS19 or FS200

Default Canon FS19 or FS200

Hey there.

Planning on buying a camera. Like the canons. My question is... To get the FS19 or the FS200?

Does the FS19 include an external mic input? Couldn't find that out anywhere.

Aside from that and the internal memory, what are the differences?

Bless,
    Chris

Dont buy anything without a mic input if you want to do more than holiday type stuff shame they as rare as hens teeth on consumer cams.

Your best bet for great value for the money you want to spend is a tape dv camera - by a mile - but no one cares what is best in my experience - people often just want what has got the most bright stickers.

Cameras that are not toys below 3000 take TAPES. All the rest are stupid toys for stupid people.

I wouldn't touch Canon with a disinfected barge pole, but that is personal bias, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by vertovian View Post

Cameras that are not toys below 3000 take TAPES. All the rest are stupid toys for stupid people.
    Not quite the up-to-date state of affairs!

AVCHD Camcorders - Cameras & Camcorders - Proactive
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

I think I'm willing to take the risk on the SD card rather than MiniDV for ease of use. Does anyone know if the FS19 has a mic input, and what the difference is with other models?

Why would you avoid Canon?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by bigonroad View Post

Why would you avoid Canon?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    They're attitude and afterservice, it stinks!

Example: The camera you are interested in. Audio input, information not provided! (It means there isn't an external mic socket!)
    Last edited by IanA; 01-16-2010 at 11:22 PM.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)

But I think I have read elsewhere that they have one...

Blog Entries

As the owner of two Canon camcorders (XH A1 and the HF10) I'd say that on a same-price basis they tend to give "better" pictures than the competition. Purely a personal opinion and I haven't had to call on their after-sales so I can't comment on that.

As for...

Complete and utter rubbish. Many regional broadcasters use Panasonics costing under 3k with P2 cards, AVCHD is now a "standard" format and the link from IanA shows a number of professional camcorders using non-tape storage.

Rubbish yourself - to amplify - consumer grade card cams use daft codecs - like avchd - only a few odball semi pro cameras do this - I yearn after a p2 cmaera - cos that records to card in a very similar way to hdv tape but with much higher bit rates.

Tape is best is shorthand for ' no shit codecs' - except microdv and that was stillborn.

The best cameras in the world - just for fun - generally dump bits to tape - or vast arrays of hard drives.

Blog Entries

It's progress Mark. it took a while for the pc to catch up to provide the power to edit DV easily. With the right hardware and software you can edit avchd, a technology that has delivered affordable high definition to consumers, and increasingly used in high end models.
    Posted via Mobile Device

to amplify - consumer grade card cams use daft codecs - like avchd -
    While I have no wish to turn this thread into a slanging match, AVCHD and it's kin using the H.264 codec, are capable of turning out superb quality footage and, as Marc says, it's down to the capabilities of the hardware used to process it, as to whether you have problems with it.

I got my first AVCHD camera some two years ago and it nearly drove me up the wall in post but now I have very few problems, and certainly nothing another PC upgrade wouldn't cure!

In another two years it will be bog standard and tape will be as obsolete as 35mm film stock is to the stills shooter now!

The reason that the price of higher end cams has come down with solid state technology is the elimination of moving parts for transporting that tape through the recording mechanism, and not through any percieved drop in the abilities of the camera. Indeed, those abilities have been enhanced by the quality achieved with solid state media.

As for P2, although it is superb in it's own right it is in too niche a position to last and will be replaced by the SD format as time goes on. Panasonic themselves have only just released a latest generation of SD card, SDXC with planned capacities up to 2tb and available today at up to 64gb. Therefore, with the price of existing SDHC cards at less than a quarter of P2, and wider availability to boot, P2 doesn't really stand a chance!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast