Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long is....

Question How long is....

..a piece of string? No, that's not the question.

How long was the longest video you have made/created? And, how long did it take you to make it?

Was it for a personal project or done for someone else?
    I'm interested because I'm working on something that seems to be taking ages and even now I'm only half way through!!

So, what would you call a 'long time'?
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

I've been working on a project since I joined the forum and I'm about half way through. The actual video is only 5:30mins but it's been in pre production for ages I have had a problem with this that and the other but feel it's coming together now.

It's my first, what I would call proper movie, not just filming the dogs or kids etc.

I will post a trailer soon.

Blog Entries

I agree with Midnight. Unless you're working to a formula (as many wedding videographers do otherwise they'd go out of business) the length of the finished video need bear no relation to the amount of time spent making it.

The longest (running time) film I've ever made runs for one hour and one minute. However it was an edit of a live performance lasting about an hour and a half, edited only to take out "dead" time and some of the worst camera movement, and some colour correction. This took me about a fortnight working for a couple of hours most evenings.

The shortest film I have made is

which lasts for a minute. However it took me three months working on it most evening (for one to two hours per evening).

I'm often staggered at how very long it takes me and this is the main reason I'd never consider filming as a career. It's not my technical ability that lets me down, it's the selection & trimming of clips, selection of music, pacing - all the artistic considerations.

What I WILL tell you is that a projects where you've just been out and filmed stuff in the hope of making a film out of it will take ten times longer than if you have a script and a storyboard and go out and shoot that.

I'm currently working on putting something together about Sunbury Regatta which had been filmed in a random way and even though I knew roughly what clips I wanted (from about 2.5 hours footage) AND I'd logged the contents of each clip AND I'd already got the music on the timeline and markers set to the beat AND I'm more interested in getting any old rubbish completed than making something that looks great, it STILL took me 2 hours to do 30 secs.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post

What I WILL tell you is that a projects where you've just been out and filmed stuff in the hope of making a film out of it will take ten times longer than if you have a script and a storyboard and go out and shoot that.
    I quite agree with that, but the scripting and storyboarding are surely part of the process so, in my book, they get included in the time taken!

I'm not imagining that anyone, or for that matter, everyone can produce footage at will, I just want to get a feel for averages and indeed, extremes?
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)

I am not sure I could hold my attention on any particular edit for more than a few days. However, when I say days I probably spend up to 12 hours at a time messing around so its similar to others but concentrated. I find there comes a point where I just want it over and done with.

As my projects become more complex I find that Premier Elements gets more difficult to keep under control. It can be quite temperamental when adding clips in amongst others and sometimes throws other stuff out despite hold various keys down as instructed.

I made a home movie once that lasted nearly 2 hours. That taught me that most peoples attention span is a couple of minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    I made a home movie once that lasted nearly 2 hours. That taught me that most peoples attention span is a couple of minutes
    Especially in this YouTube age! This generation will stand in front of a microwave oven and scream, "hurry up" because they want everything yesterday.

I spent six months scripting, location scouting, shooting (both on set and on location) and editing and post of an original short feature comedy movie. In the first cut it ran 28 minutes. After revisiting the project a year later, I had successfully cut it down to 23 minutes. Had I shown this to a TV audience of 40 years ago, it would have been a smash hit (that is the era I came out of). Knowing what I know now about people's attention spans, and learning more about the 'art' of story telling, and the preference of today's audiences, I would throw the whole thing in the trash and start over from scratch, except I am sick of messing with that particular project. So, you take lessons learned and move on and apply them to the next one.

As pointed out earlier, you can't determine video effort and length of time required by some arbitrary amount, or someone else's experience. Each video is unique. It is finished when you decide it is finished (or it finishes you).

For those of you who have not previously suffered through the feature I was talking about, it was first called "Puss N Boots - Not", then, in the last release, it was entitled simply... Cat!@@AMEPARAM@@player.setPostsId(1183663);player. setUsersId(132695);player.setUsersLogin("grjohnson ")@@AMEPARAM@@1183663@@AMEPARAM@@grjohnson
    Last edited by worddigger; 01-16-2010 at 02:51 PM.

I have several projects that have been gestating for years - but they are only books I write in.

I cant do long drawn out projects once i start taping - I have to keep up the momentum so all my projects are made very fast - once I get started - that is the hard bit for me - often it's fear of success i am sure - but you aint my shrink and I aint paying - lols.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    I quite agree with that, but the scripting and storyboarding are surely part of the process so, in my book, they get included in the time taken!
    True, but filming and post has to be done where the time and resources are available (ie at locations, with actors, on such and such an editing suite). The pre-production can most often be done on an "as and when" basis. As Vertovian implies we all have many ideas which might be no more than ideas, gestating for many years, very often just in the backs of our minds.

So whilst I agree they form part of the process, the time spent almost comes from a different dimension.

Obviously this only applies to films that are made for ones own satisfaction. If you're commissioned or otherwise obligated to make a film about subject "X" by a certain deadline then all the time comes from the same dimension.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by vertovian View Post
    - but you aint my shrink and I aint paying - lols.
    I' msure that particular gentleman has his work cut out!

While I grant that ideas are all part of the process, and a quite important one at that, I don't think that they actually come into the equation when looking at this subject.
    Yes, I have a number of half filled note books that are loosely called Ideas Books, half rubbish and half 'must do one day' stuff, but in this context they are no different to a clients breif. The work doesn't start until you start scripting or storyboarding those ideas....

10. Default

I've made a personal video... 3 hrs and 45 mins...

its long for me because I have to be behind the camera for that long to take everything...

it was a wedding occasion...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast