Thread: Large .avi file becomes small .avi file on Prem 6.5 Timeline

Default Large .avi file becomes small .avi file on Prem 6.5 Timeline

Hi. I capture a 15 minute .avi in Premiere 6.5 ....I then drag it to the timeline. There it only shows as a 2 minute video. I go to search the hard drive for the video and view it in Windows Media Player and find it to be 15 minutes. Why is Premiere shortening it to only 2 minutes ?
    I have captured many hours of video on this same machine many times and this has never happened. Can anyone help??? I am in a total panic over this....

ps. I tried importing the same video from the same camera into Sonic Dvd program and it remains 15 minutes. I import it Adobe 6.5 and drag it to the timeline and it is still 15 minutes. So this is peculiar to Adobe 6.5. ....I can,t use the sonic dvd capture material (even though it is all there ) simply because the quality is too poor.

No idea why this might be happening but if the acgtual capture is sound, i.e. the file ont he HDD is 15 minutes long but the Premiere 'asset' is only 2 minutes long then try the following.

Dlete/Remove the asset from inside Premiere. Only premiere, do not delete the actual file.

Import the file into Premiere again from the HDD.

Thanks Alan for the quick response! I tried deleting it completely from Adobe Premiere and then acquiring it again from the a/v hard drive.....several times.....everything looks great until the video hits the timeline and then bingo....it is only 2 minutes ....not 15 like it is supposed to be. Also, I additionally captured 2 new 15 minute videos and voila...they also do the same thing.....i am perplexed .

Blog Entries

Bizarre. But you know the workaround - use a different app to capture!

Marc...it is not a work around.....i only said it is able to be done...but for me since the quality from other apps i have are garbage i cannot give the finished products to customers. I must be able to capture and use video on the timeline like i have for the past 3 years.....like everyone else that uses adobe....i am really in a bind....

Blog Entries

As it's DV, the quality from other capture apps should theoretically be identical. Download DVIO and capture using that.