Thread: Will I be able to turn off my LCD camcorder screen.

Default Will I be able to turn off my LCD camcorder screen.

Hi guys my 1st post, looks a very interesting forum enjoying it up to now,

Anyway I wonder if any of you guys could advise me about this, I have just bought a Speed HD-50Z HD camcorder, I want to get the most time out of a battery and thought I would be able to turn off the flip out LCD screen when filming, but I cannot see any way of doing this, I will not need to view it as the camera will be cliped to a helmet I wear,

Is this normal with a camcorder, not sure how much drain the LCD screen has on battery life or if its necessary or not,

What do you think.

Nick in Cheshire.

Blog Entries

Welcome - just googled your camera as I hadn't heard of it before and found this -

I just bought this camera, less than 2 weeks old, you need to use HDMI cable to watch in HD.
    Setback:-
    1) No date stamp,
    2) Simple in-accurate analog battery indicator,
    3) Cannot power on the unit with USB DC-in adapter,
    4) Suppose to be able to charge battery with USB DC-in adapter but mine doesn't work,
    5) Distortion and noisy audio when playback from unit,
    6) and if you intend to have the unit for your travel be sure you get additional batteries and battery chargers too!,
    7) Poor response from my distributor and manufacturer on feedback.
    Consider carefully on the batteries and chargers before you buy

Nothing about closing the screen whilst filming but I know one Panasonic one I've tried shuts down when the screen is closed.

The other thing is - you mention clipping it to your helmet. I suspect the camera will not function at all if it's being shaken about and used like this.

At the end of the day - the only way you're going to know for sure is to try it.
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 01-15-2010 at 04:23 PM.

Hi Andy thanks for your info, I wonder just how much the screen drains the battery seem a shame not to be able to turn it off,

I did find a way of closing the screen and keeping the camera powered up, I have found if I flip the screen open just a bit and as soon as I see it light up close it, I have found the camera then stays on but the screen is still on but at least I should be able to use it closed,

As for having it on my helmet, there should not be any vibration as its a flying helmet for use in an open cockpit microlight thats all I bought it for really and the fact that it has a remote control to operate it in flight without being able to see or handle it, it was a bit of a gamble but it didn't cost to much £138,

I only got it a few days ago so I have not tested it to see how long the battery's last yet but upto now happy with the picture quality.

Nick.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickjaxe View Post
    ...As for having it on my helmet, there should not be any vibration as its a flying helmet for use in an open cockpit microlight...
    And there was me thinking you were yet another BMX nutter!

Good luck - and post the video!

Well lots of my mates think I am a nutter to do what I do,

I have done a bit of in flight filming but the quality of the camera and editing leave lots to be desired, to see what I mean look at the link below, so I hope to improve on that which should not be to hard.

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Nick.
    Last edited by nickjaxe; 01-16-2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: error