Thread: Beach Wedding Video - Audio Hints? Other suggestions?

Default Beach Wedding Video - Audio Hints? Other suggestions?

Hey everybody,

My name is Kyle Olson and I am new to the blogs / forums.

I am a videographer out in Hollywood, California and I am currently preparing to shoot a new type of video that I haven't had experience with before.

I've shot tons of Wedding videos in the past, but this one is talking place on the east coast on a beach front.

Some questions:

1. What is my best way to mic something like this on the beach?
    2. What things should I be mindful of and really be sure and prepare?
    3. Any cute ideas of video to be sure and capture while on the beach with the couple?
    4. Does anybody have some links to a beach wedding they shot so I can get some creative juices flowing?

I'm looking forward to hearing yours tips and advice!

Thanks in advance!

Kyle

Hi Kyle and welcome to the UK forum.
    You have a great location, very envious. If you ever want to swap backdrops for a grey, damp, cold Yorkshire, drop me a line.

I've never filmed beach weddings, though I have edited a few, badly filmed ones that clients have brought over to have edited.

The problems I noticed were, camera tilted off level so the sea ran downhill, easily corrected on the day, especially as you've already filmed loads and wind wave noise.
    Noise can be minimised by close micing either the bride or groom with a radio mic. If they're in their swiming trunks and you can't clip a mic on them, clip it on the table flowers facing the couple. It'll eliminate most of the wave/windroar.

Fun shots - If the couple are up for it on the day, the obvious wave jumping and running hand in hand stuff.
    If they're really fun and they get it, try filming (a day or 2 before the ceremony) heads under water with the venue as a backdrop and then their heads coming up out of the water for a kiss/swimming back towards the venue. This can then be used as an opening closing scene.
    Just my 2pence/cents worth
    Let us know how you go on.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Hi Kyle

I do quite a few beach weddings during the season and two of Zero's points are critical...your horizon MUST be horizontal..that's a must and often hard to get a tripod level in soft sand!! I use a bowl tripod for obvious reasons but at the beach make sure you get the legs in nice and deep before doing a bowl adjustment, otherwise make up some sand shoes for the tripod...3 pieces of plywood will stop the legs sinking in soft sand.

It will be usual if there is no wind so rather be prepared for wind..if you can re-position the bridal party then do so...the groom's back to the wind so he forms a natural wind break and of course you need to use a radio lapel mic as close as you dare on the groom's jacket.

Once the ceremony is over let them kick off their shoes and just have fun in the sand and water..they will be at their happiest anyway so fun shots will come naturally!!

Chris

You shouldnt quote for jobs you cant do - unprofessional.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vertovian View Post
    You shouldnt quote for jobs you cant do - unprofessional.
    That's exactly how an established business develops and thrives. Once you have a solid foundation, clients will be happy to commision jobs you haven't done before. The nature of event filming means you have to adapt to survive. You learn new techniques and innovations as you take on more and varied work. And sites like this enable free sharing of that
    Experiene. That's invalauable for an industry where it's rarely possible to rely on colleagues experience.
    Posted via Mobile Device

I've always quoted for jobs beyond my experience/limits. Sometimes all it takes is a little bottle/holding your nerve while you bite the bullet.
    Most of the 'experts' are full of bull**it anyway.

If it involves video, and it can be done by someone, I can do it too.
    Guess I was inspired by this anthem.

"There's nothing you can do that can't be done.
    Nothing you can sing that can't be sung.
    Nothing you can say but you can learn how to play the game
    It's easy."

P.S.
    Since the OP hasn't had the courtesy to respond to our suggestions, I wish I hadn't bothered tripewriting my 1st reply let alone my last.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Hey Zero

The OP might have not said thank you but you must remember that your replies are also helping a whole bunch of other forum members as well as a huge number of guests who would appreciate your advice.

In this day and age, it seems like a simple thank you is not bothered with any more! My parents always taught me to be polite but modern society seems to have forgotten about it!!

Well, if it helps, I appreciate reading your posts!! and BTW: Thanks!!!

Chris

Cheers Chris, I don't think it's a generation thing, more an individual's attention span that's caught in it's own Xbox momentum.
    They've probably flitted onto other forum and asked the same questions, then forgotten where they've been.
    Dementia - Not just for the old.
    Thanks for reading!