Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my pc good for editing?

1. Default Is my pc good for editing?

OK well I'm starting to make short films and other things on youtube. I am still saving for a hd camera which will be a canon hg 20 or hg 10 anyway I want to know if my computer will be good enough to edit in. I put after effects and premier pro cs3 on here from my uncle. Here are my specs.

HP Compaq dc5100 MT(AG151AW)
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
    4gb of ram
    2 hard drives:1 is 40gb and that has xp on it and a 500gb with win 7 on it
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family

I know my graphics card sucks but any suggestions for a nice cheap one?

So with a new graphics card will this fluidly edit my videos?

Quote Originally Posted by xxntkidxx View Post
    OK well I'm starting to make short films and other things on youtube. I am still saving for a hd camera which will be a canon hg 20 or hg 10 anyway I want to know if my computer will be good enough to edit in. I put after effects and premier pro cs3 on here from my uncle. Here are my specs.

HP Compaq dc5100 MT(AG151AW)
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
    4gb of ram
    2 hard drives:1 is 40gb and that has xp on it and a 500gb with win 7 on it
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family

I know my graphics card sucks but any suggestions for a nice cheap one?

With a 512mb graphics card it should edit your videos! The key word is 'fluidly'! That's another matter. HD footage doesn't run fluidly in editing programs until you get to quad core and/or 64bit systems!
    Another hard drive for Adobe to use as a scratch disk will help, as a 40gb with stuff already on it won't help much.
    HIH
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

3. Default

Ya BUt i HAve 2 hard drives a 40 and 500 and what is a good cheap video card?

Ya BUt i HAve 2 hard drives a 40 and 500 and what is a good cheap video card?
    Yes, and where are your programs located? If they are on the 40gig, then fine, but you have stated that there are some (Win7) on the 500gig.

If your editing programs are on the 500gig, and the 40gig is more than half full, then you will get better performance from another HD working as a scratch disc in/for Premiere.

As far as Video cards are concerned, take a look at Maplins and get the best NVidia card you can afford. But you are going to need a minimum of 512meg on-board ram. 1gb cards are now quite affordable. Just make sure you have a slot it will fit in!
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)

Blog Entries

Whether or not a new graphics card will make any difference depends entirely on whether your editing program makes use of the graphics card. Sony Vegas does not - all processing is done in the CPU (though a reasonable amount of RAM in the graphics card certainly won't do any harm).

The rest depends on what sort of meda you'll be using and creating - as IanA says forget anything like "fluid" without at least a Quad core - and how many effects.

If you're just trimming and cutting together standard def footage with a few titles and whatnot, you should be fine with what you've got. Te more you do to it though, the more you need.
    Tim

6. Default

My videos are not going to have many effects I usually open the video in after effects and color correct and add some small effects then I render and do all the cutting trimming and titles in Premier. And I am just going to stick with my processor right now because my mother board can't handle anything else. And the most ram I can have with win 7 32 is 4gb , and I can't switch to 64bit because I have some apps that are only 32bit.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    Yes, and where are your programs located? If they are on the 40gig, then fine, but you have stated that there are some (Win7) on the 500gig.

If your editing programs are on the 500gig, and the 40gig is more than half full, then you will get better performance from another HD working as a scratch disc in/for Premiere.

As far as Video cards are concerned, take a look at Maplins and get the best NVidia card you can afford. But you are going to need a minimum of 512meg on-board ram. 1gb cards are now quite affordable. Just make sure you have a slot it will fit in!
    All my apps for win xp are on the 40Gb. And then win 7 and all its apps are on the 500gb.

The computer - almost any computer - is fine for editing. Ditto camera.
    It's the people that screw it all up usually.

All my apps for win xp are on the 40Gb. And then win 7 and all its apps are on the 500gb.
    Doesn't really answer the question, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by vertovian View Post
    The computer - almost any computer - is fine for editing. Ditto camera.
    It's the people that screw it all up usually.
    For once, I agree with you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast