Thread: Starting New Business

Default Starting New Business

Hi

I am in the middle of starting a new wedding videography business. I am at the stage where I am sorting out the business name and website. I am looking for some advice on gear. I am about to purchase a Sony Ex1r xdcam. Two 32gb sxs cards. Was adviced not to use sdhc cards with adapters because of reliability issues. Also included is asecond battery. I have an old tripod that I could use initially. I will need to get a light and microphone sorted. What do you think?

I have already purchased a 8 core mac pro with cinema display and final cut studio 3.
    Also does anybody know where I could rent microphones and a light in southern Ireland. Thanks for the help.

Regards

Mick.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Hi Mick and welcome to the forums. It sounds like you're making a fine start with a good cam and editing set up.
    Mics? Most new starters make do with the on cam mic, though this is far from ideal, as good sound is essential.
    Rental can also be very expensive, though if you're only producing a few weddings, it may make sense until you find the ideal solution.
    Wedding guys usually work with a radio and shotgun mic, though check with radio mic frequency regs before you buy as these will be changing in the next couple of years.
    A good shotgun and radio mic can be had for about 600 and will be worth their weight in gold for the difference they make.
    Best of luck!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Agree 100% with Zero on microphones. You're clearly investing a lot of money so far and the EX1R is a fabulous camera (I have the EX1) so don't let poor audio spoil it. You won't go wrong with a Rode NTG2 (with shock mount) and a Sennheiser EW wireless system with lav mic. I use a Sony HVL-BPL LED light which is great, but expensive.

I think Sony have now released an official adapter that lets you use cheaper Memory Stick media - although you can't use S&Q motion.

Also - you realy need some kind of backup camera.

Good luck.

Ian

Thank you all for the advice.

When you say there is messing with radio mic licenses, how will that effect our work. Will it be a legal issue that will prevent us from using radio mic's and what kind of new mic's are we to expect.

In relation to the second camera, I cannot afford a second EX1r at this stage. I would have considered a cheaper camera, but if would not be of much use if I decided to do a multi cam wedding because of color differences. As a backup camera, do you just leave it on a tripod and let it record the whole ceremony from a fixed position. Maybe down the road, I might be able to get a second hand EX1

In the mean time, i will do a bit of research on getting a decent second hand mic system.

Again, thanks for your help

Regards

Mick

Hi re the 2nd cam. Many can be colour corrected/balanced to mimic the 'look' from the EX1 and as it's a wide shot a cheaper cam wouldn't need to break the bank provided the optics were good.
    Yes, just lock it off and crop out the main 'in shot' cam.

Radio mics, from what I gather, are restricting the 'free to use' frequences avalable and as Paul says, once the new rules come into play, these may become saturated from other sources.
    I'd still go for a good sennheisser wireless one and they should be a good price now especially as the confusion on frequences nears.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club