Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exporting mt2 files from Canon HD40 to Sony Vegas Pro 8.0b

Default Exporting mt2 files from Canon HV40 to Sony Vegas Pro 8.0b

I just recently started working with the Canon HD40 and while I love it, I am having a problem with the exported files. They are mt2's which are fine I suppose, however there are thousands of them, making it impossible to do any real editing. What is the trick to combining these mt2's or exporting my video footage in another format (maybe mpeg2) so that I can actually get down to editing? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-- LITM
    Last edited by Lost-In-The-Music; 01-13-2010 at 11:26 PM.

Blog Entries

You will create a new clip every time you press record on the camera. This is what you would want as an editor. Why would you want a clip which spans a break in continuity?

Add all the clips to your project and view them in the preview screen by clicking on them in the "Project Media" tab. When you have one you want to use, either add it to the timeline or move it to the trimmer for further wirk if you prefer to trim there.

(Actually I'm aware of two other people - one a member of this forum - who prefer to have the whole thing as one long servies of clips. If you really want this then what you'll need to do is drop all the clips onto the timeline and watch the preview or even render out a new file if you want to watch elsewhere.)
    Last edited by TimStannard; 01-13-2010 at 08:13 AM.
    Tim

I'm definitely with Tim here, small clips are much easier to work with. A couple of tips: Change your preview to 'auto play'. Then just go through the clips in Vegas explorer using the arrow keys on your keyboard. Also change to 'double clicking loads clip into trimmer' in your preferences. I'm sure that many others do it differently - a friend of mine does all trimming etc on the timeline - but that's the beauty of Vegas. Flexibility!

Normally I would agree, but for whatever reason these clips aren't created every time I record/stop, instead they are just random clips from every 1-2 frames, and therefore are not even a split second in length, making it damn near in possible to get to editing. I hit start/stop while recording maybe 40 times for different shots, there are literally around 5,000 mt2 files.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lost-In-The-Music View Post
    instead they are just random clips from every 1-2 frames,
    Yikes

OK. Back to basics. What camcorder is it really (there isn't a Canon HD40 as far as I can tell from the Canon site). What media are your recording to and how are you getting that onto your PC?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Yikes

OK. Back to basics. What camcorder is it really (there isn't a Canon HD40 as far as I can tell from the Canon site). What media are your recording to and how are you getting that onto your PC?
    I'm sorry, I meant the HV40 not HD40. With the HV models you use MiniDvTapes. I use the firewire (4 pin to 4 pin) to connect to the camera and computer. I open Sony Vegas Pro 8 and then capture from there. Sometimes, I'll get an error half way... but it appears that error doesn't do anything really. Everything captures, and there's just tons of MT2 files with barely any frames to edit. Putting a few on the timeline almost makes it look like a GIF.

Blog Entries

OK You're doing it right. I wonder, have you set the date/time on the camera? Without this the date/time is not written to the tape and so the "scene detection" which is really "break in time detection" cannot operate properly.
    I admit I don't know whether HDV capture works the same as DV capture so I may be barking up the wrong tree.

Another thing you could try would be to turn scene detection OFF in the options within the capture utility.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    OK You're doing it right. I wonder, have you set the date/time on the camera? Without this the date/time is not written to the tape and so the "scene detection" which is really "break in time detection" cannot operate properly.
    I admit I don't know whether HDV capture works the same as DV capture so I may be barking up the wrong tree.

Another thing you could try would be to turn scene detection OFF in the options within the capture utility.
    That would be turning the scene detection OFF in Vegas or in the camera menu? I guess I can try that.

As for the first part, yes the date/time is set. It was by default and I know that because I remember the location on the date/time is NY (Which I didn't change because there seems to be no reason to. I live on the East Coast anyway).

I'll try it again and report back what happens. I tried twice, though. I guess my Vegas could be buggy. Perhaps I could try with another free editing type program, and then send the footage back to Vegas and edit. How is the capture files suppose to look after you capture from an editing program. Should their be thousands of them? How does it look for you when you do it?

Blog Entries

I guess my Vegas could be buggy.
    Unlikely, unless you've picked it up from a dodgy source.

Perhaps I could try with another free editing type program, and then send the footage back to Vegas and edit.
    Definitely. Please let us know how you get on with this.

How is the capture files suppose to look after you capture from an editing program. Should their be thousands of them? How does it look for you when you do it?
    Never done it with HDV, but I would imagine it would look the same as for DV - that is one file for every time the REC button was pressed.

The "Turn of scene detection" I mentioned is an option within the capture software that is part of Sony Vegas.
    Tim

Yes, I can confirm that Vegas HDV capture gives you much the same as it's DV capture. You should only have a separate clip where you've paused the cam. Sounds very strange to have such small clips - sounds like what you can get if using 'optical scene capture' which works on changing of light. AFAIK Vegas doesn't even offer that option though!

Can you confirm that you're using Vegas HDV capture? Wouldn't have thought DV capture would work on an HDV source, but worth a shot.

As Tim Sez, you could try unticking the scene selection box in capture prefs. While you're there, check what amount of RAM is allocated on the slider to capture. Default is 25%. Recommendation for long files is 80%.

By the way, HDV Split is a well known free programme. Don't think it's been updated for a while though.
    Last edited by Archie; 01-14-2010 at 10:49 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast