Thread: Posting an idea?

Default Posting an idea?

I have an idea for a video and need some help fixing it up and adding a few things(the script)
    The thing is that if I post it I dont want anyone steeling my idea and turning it into a video when they didn't even make it. So should I still post it or not or what should I do to make sure no one does take it?

Blog Entries

The fact of the matter is you cannot copyright an idea, so there is nothing you can do to prevent it being used by someone else. Sorry. If you write a script then it IS copyright and you are automatically protected (though you will need some evidence that you wrote it in order to prove this).
    Tim

Blog Entries

Having said that about the script Tim. If someone else comes up with the same idea, you have to prove that they stole it from you and it's not just coincidence!

There are gazzillions of ideas for scripts out there Beg, I doubt if Warner Brothers are watching Videoforums to get ideas for their next blockbuster!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    Warner Brothers are watching Videoforums to get ideas for their next blockbuster!
    Especially as VF wears a foil hat.

Blog Entries

Can you do that Gaffer? I thought they'd have to have stolen a substantial part of the script - not just the idea. It's pretty obvious only the lawyers would make any money out of ay of this anyway.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    I doubt if Warner Brothers are watching Videoforums to get ideas for their next blockbuster!
    I suspect the threat is other amateur movie makers. I know ideas for amateur movies for entry into festivals and the like are hard to come by and closely guarded secrets.

And take rollingstock, people aren't taking his ideas but his own films and posting them as their own.
    Tim