Thread: ratios and rendering

1. Default ratios and rendering

im dealing with everything from HDV to VHS converted MPEG2's and at the final cut i want to play it on a big screen. how should i be rendering the MPEG's that im archiving to work on again, as default or for architech or is architech rendering just for the final production?

4:3 or 16:9 for a big screen if i dont want the black corners and just a full widescreen picture?

i know its basic s*** but i cant get my f*****head around it,

thanks for your patience

EDITED FOR LANGUAGE
    We're not prudes here but we hope to encourage filmmakers of all ages. Unnecessary foul language just reduces the credibility of this forum.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 01-12-2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: foul language

DVD Architect is for making DVDs for final viewing. You could archive on to DVD from an mpeg2 file but I would not recommend it if you intend to work on the clips later. I would recommend you use a lossless .avi this will be better for editing and video quality loss will be minimal. You can if you need to free up hard disk space, burn .avi files onto a DVD data disk, not media disk like DVD Architect produces.

The aspect ratio of 16:9 is the normal wide screen TV. BUT if you have footage that was not shot in wide screen it will be distorted if you save it 16:9

Blog Entries

ORIGINAL EDITED FOR LANGUAGE
    We're not prudes here but we hope to encourage filmmakers of all ages. Unnecessary foul language just reduces the credibility of this forum.

Please respect others who use the forum. If you really need to let off steam, there's an "Adults Only" section where you are welcome to use whatever language you like.

Thanks
    Tim