Thread: Review of Adobe Premiere Elements 8

Wink Review of Adobe Premiere Elements 8

I have reviewed Adobe Premiere Elements 8 here:

Product Review: Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 & Premiere Elements 8 - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

I received the Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements package from Adobe and my review of both products shows I do not recommend the Premiere Elements for video editing.

Note to Moderators:

While I understand this is promoting my review and wanting page views it is an unbiased review of the program I received from Adobe for reviewing purposes. I think this would be helpful for those looking into purchasing the software and wanting an unbiased opinion from someone who is reviewing the software as a freelance writer.

Thank you.

Jeff Gedgaud

Blog Entries

Have you used many editing applications before? Do you have much experience of reviewing software?

Your review tells us next to nothing about the software, but rather tells us (several times) that you didn't like Premiere Elements. I don't feel particularly well informed having read your review, which was poorly structured with no detail concerning features, pricing or target market.

I have had experience reviewing programs for the past three years or so using Microsoft Movie Maker, Cyberlink, ArcSoft and a few other products.

I did not spend much time on the actual program specifics because I had spent so much time trying to get it to work on what the company advertised that the parts I did get to work paled in comparison to the parts that did not. I do not go step by step in how programs work, just if they did, what program features are available and any problems i did have.

When reviewing this software the fact that I could not get it to work for regular high definition video when so many other programs could edit the same clip of video says a lot. Also the fact that so many others are having problems with the program lends a lot of substance to my claims of not purchasing the software.

I do add some facts to the reviews I perform but when I have so many problems I go with what happened and not with what could have if I did not have so many problems. Sorry I could not give you more facts but things like price, target market and other things are easy enough to find from Adobe. What is not is the problems people are having with the software.

That's what I do, review products and tell any problems I did have with it.

Jeff Gedgaud

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jeffgedgaud View Post
    the fact that I could not get it to work for regular high definition video when so many other programs could edit the same clip of video says a lot.... That's what I do, review products and tell any problems I did have with it.
    You haven't really told us about your problems though, have you? What was the source of your 'regular high definition' video? Was it in AVCHD, HDV or some other proprietary format? Was this the only problem you encountered? When editing in Standard Definition (which I assume was from a miniDV camcorder), was the layout and workflow intuative?

By posting your review in the Adobe section of a video editing forum, you're aiming at a people actively using versions of this software. My users would be interested in an informed opinion rather than 5 pages of product bashing. I recommend that you 'review' your 'review' and attempt to write a more focued article on the product. By producing a more structured review that at least starts with a product's target market and key / new features, you'll create a much more informative piece.

I would have to say in Jeff's defence that after searching this forum for threads on "Premiere Elements 8", this is the one that jumped out and his review does highlight something I wish I had known before I bought it:

Adobe Premiere Elements 8 is completely unstable. It didn't work for the reviewer, so he has every right to state that. I've had problems with it too and this is after Adobe themselves recommended I install it, because they would not support version 4.

I've logged two calls with Adobe and had pathetic support. People need to know.

I'm surprised there isn't more heated discussion on this topic.
    Last edited by Mr John; 03-30-2010 at 01:33 PM.