Thread: My Kurdish Barber.

Default My Kurdish Barber.

Target length - 4 mins.
    I wanted to make something about how immigration is good for my anti bnp yt channel.

I filmed this in about an hour total i the evening just around closing time. I tried to get a stunt friend for the hair cutting bits that I knew i wanted to use but none was available so that is the other barber in the chair volunteering ( i go there often).

I shot 17 mins total. 8 mins was interview.

Camera - JVC DV5000 on bean bag ( sd dv )
    Mic - Sen 416 out of shot to lower right.
    Lighting - available, strip lights on cieling - nasty.

Edited forever as my net was down for three or four days. 40 hours total.

I pretty much knew exactly what shots I wanted before I started but I hadn't written anything down.

The only thing i would change is the second cut to black - too long now I think.

All feedback welcome as I spent ages on this trying to make it involving and 'watchable'. Oh yea - all the aspect ratio fiddling - just somethnig i am playing with at present in many of my films.

Music is some bit of mantovani and then twin peaks theme by morricone - i think. Uploaded as a 720p 3mbit wmv.

Last edited by vertovian; 01-10-2010 at 06:16 PM.

I really liked this Mark, You did well to get it looking so good with the horrible florescent lights. I would like to make a couple of comments. When doing an interview where you have to make a cut. I prefer a fast fade rather than a cut, although you did do the cuts very skillfully. I see you couldn't resist doing your trade mark shot outside the barbers. I wouldn't have had two shots there just the longer one would have been better.

Can you tell me how you did the last shot when you panned the camera round and the lights went streaky did this occur with the camera or is there an effect on it.

Over and above the technical side of the video the message is a good positive one. Which is great.

(beginner's comments) I really liked this and paid special attention because it's the kind of thing I hope to make. I enjoyed the gritty feel of the street scenes; the mood/atmosphere was set well. The interview got a little "talking head-y" for me; I'd have liked to see more cutaways/cutins, angles, etc. I assume you left them out for the same reason you left the jump cuts in--how do they put it in the documentary books?--to maintain the integrity of the scene. (Is that right?) At the end, I found myself wanting to see a shot of him locking up the shop and walking off. The final swish pan was stylish.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I really liked this Mark, You did well to get it looking so good with the horrible florescent lights. I would like to make a couple of comments. When doing an interview where you have to make a cut. I prefer a fast fade rather than a cut, although you did do the cuts very skillfully. I see you couldn't resist doing your trade mark shot outside the barbers. I wouldn't have had two shots there just the longer one would have been better.

Can you tell me how you did the last shot when you panned the camera round and the lights went streaky did this occur with the camera or is there an effect on it.

Over and above the technical side of the video the message is a good positive one. Which is great.
    Thanks for taking the time to feedback.
    Lights - maybe i am bad but i rarely wb my camera and prefer to fiddle with general colour look in post - the raw was horrible. See pic.
    Glad the cuts worked - it is very very cut up. I have a brutal style - I hate fades, I like the odd cut to black.
    Trade mark shot - I am humbled you spotted that - lols.
    Last shot - that took ages to get right - i got a bit carried away. The light streaks are from when i picked up the camera, then slowed and placed with the text - contrast & sats up i think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Thailand View Post
    (beginner's comments) I really liked this and paid special attention because it's the kind of thing I hope to make. I enjoyed the gritty feel of the street scenes; the mood/atmosphere was set well. The interview got a little "talking head-y" for me; I'd have liked to see more cutaways/cutins, angles, etc. I assume you left them out for the same reason you left the jump cuts in--how do they put it in the documentary books?--to maintain the integrity of the scene. (Is that right?) At the end, I found myself wanting to see a shot of him locking up the shop and walking off. The final swish pan was stylish.
    Thanks for comments.

Lack of cut aways - I shot a few, as usual, and the first and second edits had them in - to add interest and cover the odd wonky edit - but you are correct - I took them out cos I wanted to focus on Kaye ( pronounced ky - lols).

I love your idea for the end shot - would work well i am sure.