Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derek's Magic Show

Default Derek's Magic Show

I'm posting this video here because I'm not asking for critical feedback (I'm well aware of all the flaws in it.) First, there is story here.

My 11 year old grandson back in West Virginia wanted grandpa to film his magic show, so that he could be a YouTube star. So, when we visited for Christmas, I made arrangements to take delivery of my new HPX170 camera while there, so I could record the show.

To say filming conditions were less than desirable is an understatement. The only available place to shoot the video was in the living room of our house, which is currently being remodeled. So, we hung up a green sleeping bag as a back drop, hoping to insert a keyed background in post (didn't work). I bought a cheap $20 tripod at Walmart (which on an unfinished and unbraced floor was more than a bit wobbly). We also had no good lighting, so we used the ceiling lights of the room for back and fill, and a 100 watt bulb in a reflector, mounted on a chair back, for the key. Add to that a shy 11 year old boy who had never been in front of a camera and my first attempt to use the new camera. All together, it was the perfect recipe for a cinematic disaster.

I mailed the camera and P2 cards back to Kuwait, where I just finished the editing and post work. I won't bore you with further details, other than to say that this project gave a whole new meaning to the term, "We can save it in post!"

Here is grandpa's finished production of a little boy's very honest Magic Show: (Runtime 06:05)

Blog Entries

That was magic!

The lack of decent lighting didn't wasn't really noticable and whilst shooting all shots straight on is normally frowned upon, for this sort of show it's quite effective as it's more "honest".

The spotlight effect was perfect.

Further compliments on the speed in which you put this together (knowing that you only managed to transfer the footage a couple of days ago).

But how much of an ogre were you as a director? The poor lad looked really worried for much of the shoot.

I hope he gets plenty of hits on YT.

(As an aside, your final piece of music is one I was using yesterday in an edit. It's really annoying when you recognise these pieces. I like to think I'm the only one who's bought them!)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    (As an aside, your final piece of music is one I was using yesterday in an edit. It's really annoying when you recognise these pieces. I like to think I'm the only one who's bought them!)
    Alas, the shortcoming of royalty-free music. Been there, observed that too.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Well done to Derek it's not easy in front of the camera. Great fun Digger. I think the magic book was the best trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Well done to Derek it's not easy in front of the camera. Great fun Digger. I think the magic book was the best trick.
    Yea, the first time he tried it did not work, so I just turned the camera off and back on again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    so I just turned the camera off and back on again.
    I bet you were just begging for an opportunity to get that in
    Tim

He's not going to let this one go is he. lol

I bet you were just begging for an opportunity to get that in
    I could not resist the opening.

I loved it. Good job to all involved.

I hope he gets plenty of hits on YT.
    He has 144 hits as of Tuesday afternoon. His Dad sent us an email saying Jr is eating this up; regularly checking the YouTube page to see his hit count. I think we have warped him. <smile>
    Thanks to all for giving the kid's ego a needed boost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast