Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple animation part 3

Default Simple animation part 3

My first attempt at using the screen recording software Fastone Capture. If the end quality of the capture is good enough for your needs, it certainly is a much cheaper option than the Camtasia software.

FastStone Screen Capture - The Best Screen Capture Software

Its certainly not as easy as many publishers make it look. Hopefully it explains how the animation techniques work.

Here is the link to part 3. It is better in HD if your system can handle it.

Shrimpy

Blog Entries

I think you're getting rather good at this simple animation lark, Shrimpy. That whole opening sequence (before the tutorial) was very well done. The footprints were a nice touch (dare I ask how...?) and I liked both the animation of the Earth and spaceship at the same time (that never would have occurred to me) and the lens flare effect.

The tutorial itself suffered a bit from the sound of your voice being noticable poorer than the v/o (not bad, you understand, but the contrast was there). Maybe you should record the nat sound (keyboard/mouse clicks & audio responses) with the animation, but record the voice separately.

My only problem with the tutorial was you haven't shown your audience how to create the characters with the mouths. Othere than that I suspect it will work very well.

I love the "Do try this at home Productions"
    Tim

Great idea to have the spaceship story. I'm sure the kids will love that but couldn't you find a better picture of a spaceship!

The explanation was clear for me but I started with a rudimentary knowledge of video editing. I'm not sure if the kiddies would follow it if this was the first video they saw. There where some terms that you used like CGI that you didn't explain what that meant.

Also the other thing that niggled me was the sound during the tutorial section needs to be tweaked so it's as good as the rest of the sound. Obviously a different recording setup but you could EQ it to give it a bit more fullness. OR record it afterwards with your usual set up.

The Faststone capture software seemed to be fine, image quality was clear enough I think.

When you try it on the kids they will give you the real feed back that you need.

Yes the sound quality of the tutorial was rather poor in comparison to the opening sequence. I tried using my digital recorder but I simply could not make it work so I had to resort to a different microphone which as you can hear was not as good. The problem was that I found it just too difficult to sync the sound in the editor when I used the stand alone recorder.

As for the footsteps. Track one had the snowscape picture without footsteps. Track two had the same image but with footsteps added in photoshop. Character overlaid on track three. I applied a crop to track 2 which obscured the footsteps and revealed them as the character moved.

There were better images of spaceships however I liked the simplicity of the one used. In fact I am not sure what the heck it is but I liked the shape

Thanks for the feedback guys. Appreciated.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    The problem was that I found it just too difficult to sync the sound in the editor when I used the stand alone recorder.
    Which two sources are you trying to sync? The normal "trick" is to make sure there's a short sharp click/slap/smack that can be picked up by both sources.

As for the footsteps. Track one had the snowscape picture without footsteps. Track two had the same image but with footsteps added in photoshop.
    Oh how boring. I actually thoght you had the foresight to photograph the scene then make the footprints and photograph it again. Thats what Midnight would have done, I'm sure.

There were better images of spaceships however I liked the simplicity of the one used. In fact I am not sure what the heck it is but I liked the shape
    I wasn't sure whether it was a printer, aprojector or something else. Who cares? I liked it for the same reason as you.
    Tim

Yes the sound quality of the tutorial was rather poor in comparison to the opening sequence. I tried using my digital recorder but I simply could not make it work so I had to resort to a different microphone which as you can hear was not as good. The problem was that I found it just too difficult to sync the sound in the editor when I used the stand alone recorder.
    Do you have the facility to record the voice over live to the time line on you NLE program. I know you can do this in Pinnacle Studio. Probably do it in Vegas as it seems to do everything but I'm not sure.

This way you don't have to worry about sync problems.

I am sure Liam will be delighted with this, although he'll probably want to draw mouths on his characters

I'll see if I can get his opinion tomorrow. From my point of view, I think it is probably a big jump from the first one and does miss a couple of steps out, but kids are innovative and will probably make the jump quite easily once they get into the idea.

Grand work Shrimpy.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Do you have the facility to record the voice over live to the time line on you NLE program. I know you can do this in Pinnacle Studio. Probably do it in Vegas as it seems to do everything but I'm not sure.

This way you don't have to worry about sync problems.
    Midnight

Yes Premier Elements 7 does allow this and I will have to give it a try. I think I should be able to link the Zoom recorder to the PC to use that as the mike rather than the headset I used for the tutorial section. I did try but got an error on connecting it.

Tim

I will try the loud sound method to sync as that would make things easier.

Ian

I may make one showing how to cut out the figures and animate the mouths. At least it will give me something to edit and allow me to practice the voice sync issue.

Scratch the above, with a little bit of playing around now I have discovered how to use the Zoom as my USB mike.

Nescessity is the mother of invention they say, but it's a good motivator too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast