Thread: Twin Microphones for interviews ?

1. Default Twin Microphones for interviews ?

OK, i dont know if this comes under one question or more, but if anyone can give any tips / advice that would be great

OK, filming motorsport events, we have a need to do a couple of interviews, up to now we have just used a normal hand held Microphone, nothing expensive, and its been working fine for the limited amount of use it gets

But what i wanted to do now instead of moving the microphone backwards and forwards, i wanted the Interviewer to have a tie clip mic, and then have a hand held one to put towards the subject, and record the same volume from both

Now all that would be a lot simpler with a better camera, but this is just a Sony VX2100, with a single Mic Input in the form of a 3.5 Jack

So my questions are........

Am i floging a dead horse ?

If i was to use a simple splitter, how much difference in sound would there be in a clip mic and a normal one, or what numbers would i have to look out for to try and match the sound ( if thats something i could do )

I have seen a small tie clip radio mic that would suit my needs, but i need to know if i can just simply split the audio to use both mics - obviously having one input means i cant alter them in post production realy

Any help would be great, i really dont have much idea with audio

Just to get you started, you can get an audio splitter box and plug the two mics into that and then into your camera or better another recording device. I have no experience at all with these so I can't advise any more that to google "audio splitter box"

Good luck.

3. Default

Do a lot of people use a seperate audio recorder ? its somthing i did think about, but again, its in an area i have no idea about, wouldnt know what to use really

4. Default

Cheers for that

The extra noise from the tie clip was something i hadnt thought about - the events are not always that loud, but there are occasions we interview them in the car still, which would make a mess of it as you say

I will have a look into the other options you mentioned and see if they would work for what we need

Thanks again