Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snowy Garden

Default Snowy Garden

Here is something I started last night and finished this morning to celebrate my freedom.

A charming little piece but that won't stop me offering pearls of wisdom in bucket loads on how to make it better

Thats still a great opening sequence, I bet it gives you a thrill every time you get to use it. I love the font in the title and its a good music track. On first viewing I didnt pick up that we were looking at a reflection in a puddle at 36'. I think that shot could have been held a little longer to let it sink in. (well my brain needs it) The dickie bird at 44' is held for too long and you could have done with another shot in there but I suspect you were waiting for the lyrics to bring in the sun, which was nice.

At 1.20 you go from a static shot into a pull back of the sun again. I think it would be better with just a pull and drop the static as its abrupt when it comes in. Thats followed by a really nice shot of the dove against falling snow. At 1.31 we get a shot of the bird bath which is not steaming, later its steaming (which is a real nice shot). I reckon Tim might pick you up on jumping around at different parts of the day on this one, most noticeable on the evening shots followed by those taken earlier.

I like your dogs, I love dogs but content myself with making a fuss of other peoples. There was a gratuitous pee shot at 1.55. The dog will never forgive you and his expression said it all

I really like the cuts starting at 2.47, well timed to the music and nice shots to boot. All together a good film, one to remember the cold snap.

Cheers

Shrimpy

PS

I just got a warning about the number of images I used in the reply. I had used 7 smilies but we are limited to 4. Didn't realise that.

Thanks Shrimpy, It's really interesting how 1st viewing is very different from further views. That's one of the problems with editing you see it to many times. Like the holding of the reflection shot it seemed right to me because of the ripple in the water in the bird bath.

I was in two minds about the bird shot at 44 in the end I thought I'd keep it long. Your right about the pull back at 1:20 I'll fix that.

So there is shots from last night mixed with shots from this morning they are all mixed up. I was hoping people wouldn't notice. I should have known better.

You said you liked the shots starting at 2:47. A lot of the practise in this movie was on the timing with the music. I'm not really use to doing quick cuts.

Thanks again for taking the time Shrimpy full allocation used.

4. Default

We'd love to offer a constructive & technical opinion but we dont know enough to do that.
    So from a purely visual point of view it was immensely enjoyable to watch.
    A blanket of snow is such a surreal thing on a landscape & changes everything, and the light that seems to come off it is quite exhilarating & different.
    If you substituted 2 rabbits for your 2 dogs that was what I saw in my garden over the last few days. Animals seem to get as excited about snow as kids do.
    As Shrimpy said cutting between shots from different times of day was noticeable & did slightly seem at odds with a nicely flowing record of this snowy spell.
    Good choice of music, you cant go wrong with ELO. It lifted the film to another level.

Sarah & Allison & Tina

Complete beginner here, trying to learn by methodically making my way through the archives of this forum and replying to newer posts.

Strangely--and I say strangely because it seems at odds with everyone else--I didn't think the music was right for the video. A lot of shots were beautiful and it felt to me like there was a stillness in the air; I would have liked to see more lingering on the beautiful shots and correspondingly slower music. But maybe there's a subtext I'm missing, like in the UK it's been a long cold winter and now the sun is finally coming out, instilling a feeling of hope and cheer?

Hi Dave, good to have you aboard. Enjoy the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah & Allison View Post
    We'd love to offer a constructive & technical opinion but we dont know enough to do that.
    So from a purely visual point of view it was immensely enjoyable to watch.
    A blanket of snow is such a surreal thing on a landscape & changes everything, and the light that seems to come off it is quite exhilarating & different.
    If you substituted 2 rabbits for your 2 dogs that was what I saw in my garden over the last few days. Animals seem to get as excited about snow as kids do.
    As Shrimpy said cutting between shots from different times of day was noticeable & did slightly seem at odds with a nicely flowing record of this snowy spell.
    Good choice of music, you cant go wrong with ELO. It lifted the film to another level.

Sarah & Allison & Tina
    Anyone who can see and hear can have a valid opinion of a movie. You know what you like and don't like and if you thought a shot looked odd then it looked odd. OR if you thought a shot was brilliant then it was brilliant.

At our level of movie making we are mostly making videos for our selves but when we post them on the Internet they become something else, not exactly public property but everyone who views it, owns their interpretation of it. This is why I post videos here to see what others think about them. Every opinion is valid. Good or bad.

Thanks for taking the time to view it and for giving some of your interpretations of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Thailand View Post
    Complete beginner here
    Well Dave, like I said in my last post. Every opinion is valid. I agree that the lyrics of the song just don't fit. I didn't spend any time looking for the perfect sound track to the movie I just picked a song with a nice tune. It was a bit of a rush job. Something to do while I was off work looking after my daughter as her school had been snowed out.

I like the idea of holding the better shots longer. This is something I normally do but as I was editing I found myself trying to cut the shots to fit with the music. There is no subtext. I just pointed the camera at anything I could see in the garden and then hurriedly put it together.

I consider myself to be a bit old school when it comes to film making for example there is no special FX or even colour correction in this movie. As I am trying to teach myself to be able to use the camera to capture everything as I want it and not have the view of "I'll fix it in post". It sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. BUT like most of us we are all gaining more experience with every new movie we produce.

Thanks for the comments.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Thailand View Post
    But maybe there's a subtext I'm missing, like in the UK it's been a long cold winter and now the sun is finally coming out, instilling a feeling of hope and cheer?
    If that's the subtext, Dave, it's certainly not from this year! We seem to be caught in the midst of arctic conditions for the UK (read: mildly chilly if you live anywhere else in the world) and the country has ground to a halt. Which is probably why MB has time to go out and film.
    Tim

Blog Entries

It's difficult to know what to say MB as this sort of thing isn't really my scene. It wasn't until I started using a video camera and watching other people's amateur films that I came to the conclusion that scenery is best shot with a stills camera (I'm not a photographer, by the way and had no idea about any photography skills until I picked up a camcorder).

For the same reason I get bored very easily when people want to show off their "travelogue" and there are just loads of shots of buildings. I want to scream at them - if you're making a video, show movement, show people interacting with the buildings, make them come to life. If you're just showing the architecture and intricacies a set of still images is far better.

Consequently by far my favourite scenes were those of the dog. As you probably know by now I'm not a fan of furry animal films either, but in these scenes you managed to capture loads of character. The "pee" shot with the look on the dogs face is worth extracting and putting up as a 10 second clip.

I realise the bird shots also had movement, but unless Attenborough is telling me something about the subject, they don't really do it for me either.

I wouldn't necessarily criticise for jumping around in time. In fact I particularly enjoy a narrative which is NOT chronologically based. However, this was clearly a montage and doesn't necessarily need a narrative.

I bet you'll enjoy looking at it in the summer.

I thought you'd edited it well to the music. I did my usual trick of watching first before reading comments then watching again. Even after I read your own comment about practicing cutting to music, I was halway through before I remembered I was meant to be watching out for this - so you've clearly cracked that as far as I'm concerned you've cracked that.

I agree with others that there were shots which could have been held longer. Shrimpy has clearly got his observing hat on - I didn't pick up on the bird bath reflection (which is a shame as doing a "reveal" here is one instance where video is superior to a stills shot of a still scene).

Just watched again. I'm warming to this sort of video but I think it has to be REALLY artsy.

EDIT: Meant to say - the music gets a thumbs down from me, I'm afraid.
    Tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast