Thread: Should I select MPEG2 or MPEG4?

Default Should I select MPEG2 or MPEG4?

When I render my AVCHD files I can select MPEG2 or MPEG4. I have read several different web pages about the different bit rate, MPEG4 is better for streaming, better compression etc.
    But will I notice any difference in the quality with MPEG2 vs MPEG4? (The cam is a Canon HF-10)

What format you render your movies in will depend entirely on what you intend to do with them afterwards.

For example, if you wish to make a DVD then MP4 is irrelevant. If you wish to embed them in a web page I would choose either of them etc etc.

It is movies I would like to store on my network server for later playback on my TV. So I would like to preserve the quality as high as possible.

I would tell you this I would go for MP4, it's popularity is increasing as well its benifits now with the H.264 you can achieve high quality with mp4 files, also if you're going to embed it , lets say youtube, mp4 would be a good way to go, will give high quality and lower size.
    But I also agree with Alan when he says that What format you render your movies in will depend entirely on what you intend to do with them afterwards.
    Visit my portuguese blog :
    http://rdinis_video.blogs.sapo.pt

OK, as long it will not be any lower quality in the MPEG4 than MPEG2, I can use this instead. Also I will save some space..
    But web I use other formats, this is more for internal/future use where I don't want to reduce the quality.

6. Default

Hi Alan,

It is nice to see you still around this furom. It has been 3 years when got my Sony HC3, that time you answered some my questions. Now need you help again, could you please tell me the HD workflow, if I use my Sony HC3 shoot and edit in Premiere CS2. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Milzit View Post
    OK, as long it will not be any lower quality in the MPEG4 than MPEG2, I can use this instead. Also I will save some space..
    But web I use other formats, this is more for internal/future use where I don't want to reduce the quality.
    As long as the codec is h264 it can have any number of extensions, m2ts, mpg, mp4 etc, I use the HF10 and use a WD HD Media player and always do mine as close to the capture bit-rate I can get, 1920x1080i at 18Mbps, unless I'm doing something for Vimeo or You-tube then I make them 1280x720P and pick a bit-rate of between 5000kbps and 8000kbps, this is just to get the file size down to something that wont use to much broadband allocation.

Bryan