Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegas expanding text question

1. Default Vegas expanding text question

Trying to make text go from small (size 8 font) to large (size 72 font) in one smooth linear operation.
    In the text box of generated media I type the required text in size 8 font, create a keyframe at the start of the timeline(in the media generator window). Then increase the text size (72 font) and create another keyframe further along the timeline.

What I expected (hoped?) to happen was an expanding size text. What actually happened was the text stayed size 8 font until the cursor reached the second keyframe and suddenly jumped to size 72.

I would have expected this had I selected "HOLD" after R-clicking the keyframe, but "LINEAR" was selected.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong to make this effect? I have successfully used keyframing for other effects.

(Sony Vegas Platinum version 9 not Pro). Thanks in anticipation.

Open up the media generator properties tab and look for a slider that is labelled scaling, if you use that instead of changing the font size it should create the required result.

I'd prefer Pan/Crop or Track Motion. Compare their "smooth" outputs against Scaling? What do you think?

Your the expert Grazie. Compaired to me you are any way. I think you have a year for every week I've had with Vegas.

5. Default

Thanks for the help there guys.
    I had a go with the scaling slider in media generator which was nice and easy but I couldn't get the font to go as big as I'd wanted (size 72). However it was a good tip for another time so thanks again.

Just at the moment I'm tying myself in knots with the pan/crop but I'll persevere and try to sort it myself (better for learning) before possibly having to give in and beg an idiots step-by-step guide.

No chance to experiment with the track motion option yet (guess I'd better do some work today!).

Really appreciate the input, cheers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by manch View Post
    I had a go with the scaling slider in media generator which was nice and easy but I couldn't get the font to go as big as I'd wanted (size 72). However it was a good tip for another time so thanks again.
    Set the font to size 72. Set a keyframe where you want it to be size 72. Now move the cursor to the beginning of the Text Media timeline and use the slider to SHRINK the text.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Set the font to size 72. . . .
    I read that this was being attempted in the openning post. Not so? And that Scaling was offered AND Pan/Crop. All requiring Key Frames of some sought. What extra is it you are suggesting here?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    I read that this was being attempted in the openning post. Not so? And that Scaling was offered AND Pan/Crop. All requiring Key Frames of some sought. What extra is it you are suggesting here?
    I read than Manch wanted to have the text expanding from 8point to 72point.
    When he said in response to MB's scaling method, he couldn't get it as big as 72 point. I took it that he was starting with an 8 point text and using scaling to make it BIGGER (but couldn't get it as big as he wanted).

My suggestion was that in order to overcome this particular problem he reverse the method: use 72point as the font and SHRINK it down to 8 point at the beginning of the event. You can scale down to infinity, but scale up using the slider only to x4.

NOTE TO MANCH:
    I've just noticed you can scale up MORE than the slider allows by typing the target scale factor in the box next to the slider.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    I'd prefer Pan/Crop or Track Motion. Compare their "smooth" outputs against Scaling? What do you think?
    P&C MUCH smoother - my guess is that with scaling it's "stepping" from one point size to the next. The downside of P&C is the blurring of the edges (anti-aliasing?) so - for white on black, you don't get a nice, crisp edge.

It would appear to be best, therefore to use the LARGEST font you are going to use in the sequence (ie the target font) - assuming this is going to be the one which is "held" for a second or two, and then SHRINK the text towards the beginning using Pan an Crop.

The downsides of this are twofold:
    1. Pan and Crop has a limit on how much yo can shrink text (or expand the "F")
    2. If you large text overspills the screen, only the visible bits wll be "shrunk" (there will be a border aroud the text)
    Tim

Blog Entries

I would go with track motion every time, rather than deal with the limitations of pan crop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast