Thread: Velocity Envelopes - tips required

Blog Entries

Default Velocity Envelopes - tips required

I mentioned in another thread that I find Velocity Envelopes tricky to work with and tend to avoid them.

Here's the particular problem I have.

Suppose I have a video clip. At point A I want it to speed up and at point B I want it back to normal speed.
    I want to match this to music which has crucial beats at point X and Y.

(Without any time stretching points A and B are further apart than points X and Y)
    I want to sync point A on the video with point X in the music, and point B on the video with point Y in the music.

Using the method of splitting and Ctrl-dragging the middle section of the video, this is easy, though the change in velocity is immediate (not pretty).

But how would I achieve it using velocity envelopes?
    Tim

Blog Entries

Tim - V/Os were discussed at great length in THIS thread.... have you given it a thorough read? The link I posted doesn't exit anymore I think, but I got to be quite handy with them at one time...

Blog Entries

Thanks for the link, Andy. I remember following it at the time (though I was much greener then) and I've just studied it again. Yes I understand how VE's work, and yes, if I want to make a track speed up here and slow down there I can do it, and yes I understand that the only sane way is to work from the beginning of the clip.

But, I have yet to figure a way to make a clip speed up/ slow down just enough so that a specific frame lands on a specific marker on the timeline (eg to ensure a jumping bike lands exactly on a particular beat in the soundtrack). Especially if I want to ramp up and down the speed rather than jump.

Probably time for me to have another play with them. I'm having ideas about subclips and markers saved with media.
    Tim

Invert/reverse your approach. Let the Music direct/inform the Video Velocity Envelope.

So, insert Markers, guided by the Music/Audio, and place them at X and Y, to later give reference vertically to the Video.

Insert a VeloEnvel on the Video and click between the 2 X&Y Markers. Grab the VelEnvel and drag "north". And now, in VP9, this will automatically give you 4-Points, and in this scenario you get the video THROUGH this section speeded-up and covering the section of music you wanted. If adding further Markers AFTER this section previous work should be NOT affected, only the remaining video is being either shortened - you see a "notch" - or lengthened, and the "notch" is yet to be revealed by extending the remainder of the Event.

Basically you're filling in Video INTO the process from the rear of the Event, like a water feeder-tank in one's loft.

So, this WILL give you your A and B Video points and they are exactly at the X and Y positions created by the Markers which had been dictated by the Music/Audio.

Tip: Turn OFF looping in the Event Properties. This will give a repeating image if the Event is being "shortened" creating a reminder that the Event had finished!

Tip: If the change of speed is too abrupt I can move the points East and West by using the Alt+PointDrag to sustain the velocity and induce a "ramp".

And yes, ramping and adjusting to a Music Marker by dragging a Point North and South can be used in conjunction with a stationary Preview Frame to get the best HIT.

Points nicely attach themselves to the Marker for this type of North/South adjustment.

Get this under yer belt and ctrl+drag will become a nice easy option for nice 'n easy edits. For the more complex work of syncing with Music - VeloEnvels, Markers and Points are just too good.

Blog Entries

Thanks Grazie. You've restored my faith in my ability to get Velocity Envelopes to do what I want.

A couple of follow ups.

To make matching the "B" point frame accurate, I can drop a marker on that frame in the trimmer. Then it's easy to line it up with the marker at "Y".

Otherwise I have to place the timeline cursor on the marker at "Y" and watch the preview for frame "Y" whilst moving the envelope north and south.

I did NOT manage to get a four points on my envelope when clicking/dragging between markers (and believe me I spent a good few minutes trying every combination). What I DID do was get a four points if I clicked & dragged on an envelope within a SELECTION. Your mistake or do I have a different preference set somewhere? (V Pro 9.0c)

Thanks again for your assistance.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    To make matching the "B" point frame accurate, . . . .
    Otherwise I have to place the timeline cursor on the marker at "Y" and watch the preview for frame "Y" whilst moving the envelope north and south.
    - EH? Why bother? You wanted to drive the Video editing by using the Audio? Not the other way around? Going to/via the Trimmer is an unnecessary, extra stage, and quite frankly, undoes what I explained? You'd be back at attempting to Sync - and that was NOT the reason why I proffered my solution. The X&Y Markers are good enough by themselves for placing the Audio-driven Markers, and it is these same Markers that give the control for the range between the 2 Markers so to allow the grabbing of the VeloEnvel. Or have I missed something?

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I did NOT manage to get a four points on my envelope when clicking/dragging between markers . . . . Your mistake or do I have a different preference set somewhere? (V Pro 9.0c)
    - No preference I know of? What I said was : "Insert a VeloEnvel on the Video and click between the 2 X&Y Markers." The way to click between 2 Markers is between their respective Marker Flags. If you clicked anywhere else, say on an event ON the Timeline, then you wont be clicking between 2 Markers. You didn't say exactly WHAT you were getting instead, but all I'd get would be a full Timeline Selection. Useless! Of course the other way is to use use Ctrl+Right arrow to get the FIRST Marker and then hold down SHIFT+Ctrl to make a SELECTION to the next Marker.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    - No preference I know of? What I said was : "Insert a VeloEnvel on the Video and click between the 2 X&Y Markers." The way to click between 2 Markers is between their respective Marker Flags.
    Sound of penny dropping. Ah-hah - between the two marker flags (thus creating a timeline selection). Markers, in my mind, extend down the whole timeline - so when you said "between the markers"....etc etc.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    - EH? Why bother? You wanted to drive the Video editing by using the Audio? Not the other way around? Going to/via the Trimmer is an unnecessary, extra stage, and quite frankly, undoes what I explained? You'd be back at attempting to Sync - and that was NOT the reason why I proffered my solution. The X&Y Markers are good enough by themselves for placing the Audio-driven Markers, and it is these same Markers that give the control for the range between the 2 Markers so to allow the grabbing of the VeloEnvel. Or have I missed something?
    Maybe I am missing something.

I didn't see what in your solution allows me to accurately line up the point in my video where I want the sped up section to revert to normal, with the point "Y" in my soundtrack by moving the velocity envelope north/south. Yes, I CAN do it by previewing that frame (on marker at "Y"), but dropping a marker on the clip in the timeline makes this easier. I don't see how that undoes what you explained.

I now have two markers on the timeline X and Y which are fixed in time and match cue points in the soundtrack and two markers on my clip A and B which mark the point at which I want the video to begin speeding up and revert to normal speed.

I move the video on the timeline to line up A with X.

I create four points on the V/E and move the mid section "north" & "south" per your explanation. As I move it, marker B (within the clip) moves left and right on the timeline and it is a simple task to line it up with marker Y.

I find it much easier to keep markers Y & B aligned when changing the "ramping" than trying to keep the same frame in the preview window.

Does that make sense? Am I missing something?
    Tim