Thread: New resources for learning about film-making

1. Default New resources for learning about film-making

Media Education Wales have just published two new resources for learning about film-making. They are aimed at teenagers and young adults but could be useful for beginner adult film-makers.

Filmsense is an illustrated introduction to key principles of film language. It uses over 50 video clips, 20 stills, and clear, simple explanations of essential concepts including mise-en-scene, camera position, lens and framing, continuity (180 degree rule, looking space and eyeline match) editing (sequencing, selecting action, editing on the action, montage) and sound. It's only 8 by download.

Editsense is a DVD-ROM of unedited video footage (four sequences, over 100 clips, all shot single-camera especially for this resource except for one multi-camera car crash from a TV drama). We developed it because we found that editing footage that has been shot following the 'rules' of film is the quickest way to get kids up to speed with their own film-making. Adults might find it useful as well. Single user (for educational use or private study, non-commercial) 39. Mac version available now for iMovie and Final Cut Express/Pro, PC version for Premiere Elements/Pro and MovieMaker out in February.

For more information visit Editsense

Tom Barrance
    Media Education Wales
    (commercial link but we are a non-profit educational organisation)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tom-cardiff View Post
    (commercial link but we are a non-profit educational organisation)
    No problem with that, Tom, as you're up front about being involved.

Interesting project and I hope this will prove to be a great resource. And as you say, not just for kids, for adults too. We frequently get people asking here where they can get hold of some footage so they can learn or practice editing. This seems like just the thing (OK so they're normally after free, but as these are shot specifically to be edited together, the more "serious" budding editors/filmmakers might go for it).

I also like the idea that people can post their finished film. I could see competitions developing and if this takes off, there's no reason why you shouldn't expand the number of clips/sequences with add-on packs and possibly turn this into a money making venture - enabling you to re-invest in more facilities etc etc etc.

A few questions if I may.

1. It's not clear from your post or blog what is on the EditSense DVD. The text implies it's a bunch of clips which can be edited together to make complete sequences. So far, so good. But if that was the case there would be no need for a Mac/iMovie version and a separate PC/Premiere version. Can you expand on what's included (and does that therefore mean it can't be used with AVID, Pinnacle, Vegas etc?)

2. Licencing. You state the clips can be used for private use, non-commercial projects. Are people free to post their completed projects on YouTube/Vimeo?

3. Licensing in schools. How are you intending to handle this? (I work in IT and look after three schools so my question is not entirely hypothetical)
    Tim

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I could see competitions developing and if this takes off, there's no reason why you shouldn't expand the number of clips/sequences with add-on packs and possibly turn this into a money making venture - enabling you to re-invest in more facilities etc etc etc.
    Hi Tim, thanks for your interest. We are indeed hoping that it earns some money, and if this one is popular we have plans for an 'Editsense 2' with new sequences later in the year.

1. It's not clear from your post or blog what is on the EditSense DVD. The text implies it's a bunch of clips which can be edited together to make complete sequences. So far, so good. But if that was the case there would be no need for a Mac/iMovie version and a separate PC/Premiere version. Can you expand on what's included (and does that therefore mean it can't be used with AVID, Pinnacle, Vegas etc?)
    Yes, it is a set of clips as you describe. We are releasing separate versions so that the clips will drop straight into the timeline without rendering. They are standard definition 4:3 DV-PAL with 48K audio, .mov for Mac and .AVI for PC. The PC version may work with other editing programs but it hasn't been tested on them.

2. Licencing. You state the clips can be used for private use, non-commercial projects. Are people free to post their completed projects on YouTube/Vimeo?
    The licence states that they can't put any of the material online. However we are planning to relax this so long as they let us know where they have put it online, and agree to withdraw it if we object. That's basically so we can ensure that any offensive versions get removed. The one exception is the Crash footage, as S4C own the copyright.

3. Licensing in schools. How are you intending to handle this? (I work in IT and look after three schools so my question is not entirely hypothetical)
    Editsense can be licensed for multiple users. Costs are 5 user 79, 10 user 129, 20 user 199, 50 user 299. We also offer upgrades, so if a school buys a five user licence and then decides they really want a 20 user licence we will offer them the upgrade for the cost of the difference in price.

Filmsense, the interactive guide, has a very simple licensing system - schools can buy the CD-ROM or download and then buy a site licence - 100 for a Primary school, 200 secondary, 500 for FE/HE.

I hope this answers your questions - please get in touch if you need more information.
    Last edited by tom-cardiff; 01-07-2010 at 03:43 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for your clear answers, Tom. As for:

Quote Originally Posted by tom-cardiff View Post
    The PC version may work with other editing programs but it hasn't been tested on them.
    If the files are standard def PAL DV then they will work with all programs capable of editing this format (which should be all programs). I'll gladly test a clip in Vegas for you, if you want verification. PM me if interested.
    Tim

5. Default

Hi Tim, thanks for the offer.

I'll ask my PC colleague (I'm the Mac man) to download trial versions of Pinnacle, Vegas and Avid and test the clips on them.