Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Vegas 9.0 pro speeding up fragment issue

Unhappy Sony Vegas 9.0 pro speeding up fragment issue

Hey,

I'm pretty new to the board, but I'm stuck with some major issue.

Ive been editing video's (mainly gaming vids) for a pretty long time now & got accustomed to Sony Vegas 7.0 really well.

Anyhow, thanks to university, I was able to get Sony Vegas for a really cheap price, so I decided to buy the 9.0 pro version through my uni.

My main issue ever since I upgraded is that I cannot seem to speed up fragments easily anymore.
    In vegas 7.0 I used to simply put in 2 splits, turn up playback rate as much as needed & then a small chip in would appear where the fragment would catch up to the end of the split again (sorry for the bad formulation, but I'm not really familiar with how to properly say this stuff in english).
    So all I had to do is drag back the end of the clip & it would autostop at the chip in. After that I just dragged the part from after the split back to the end of the newly speeded up fragment.

Like this I could easily flush through boring parts in the gaming vids I made.

Anyhow, since I got Vegas 9.0 pro, I messed around a bit to see how the new version compares to the old & started editing a first serious video last week.
    I pretty much finished all the editing, all I have to do to round it up was speeding through the boring parts & it'd be ready to publish.

To my big disappointement, the technique I used back in 7.0 doesn't seem to be availible anymore in the 9.0 pro version.
    Whenever I apply this method, the "chip in" in the timeline doesn't appear anymore in 9.0 pro, making it impossible to properly stick the 2 parts after splitting & speeding up together again.
    I can only try to estimate it, which gives terrible results & is way more work, than simply autofitting it to the small chipin that appeard in the timeline.

Anyhow, Ive googled about all I could, experimented for hours myself & can't find anything.
    Perhaps I'm completly missing a new & easier way to speed up fragments that was included in the newer version (which I really hope I am), but I'd really appreciate some help here. If I can't manage to sort this out properly, my upgrade from 7.0 was basicly useless, since if I can't speed up fragments, I pretty much can't make any movies :(.

Really hope to get some help here, you are my last hope >.<
    Thanks in advance for any replies!

If I understand you correctly. All you have to do is right click the clip and select properties. Then change the playback rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    If I understand you correctly. All you have to do is right click the clip and select properties. Then change the playback rate.
    No, thats where the problem begins.

Let me illustrate with an example:

I have:
    > A single video clip of me running 4 seconds, jumping 4 seconds & a spin that takes 4 seconds.

I want:
    > A video clip of me running 4 seconds, the same jumping done in 2 seconds & spinning 4 seconds.

What I did in vegas 7.0:
    - split in between the running & the jumping
    - split in between the jumping & the spin
    - rightclick the jumping, now splitted part -> properties -> playback rate 2,000 to double the speed.

At this point my full video would look like this:
    Running 4 seconds, jumping 2 seconds, jumping 2 seconds (repeat), spin 4 seconds.
    So what I do next: since there is a small pinch or chip, dno how the proper translation sounds, shown where the second jump, aka the repeat begins.
    Like this I could easily shorten the clip, since it would fall in place if I shortened its duration by simply dragging it in the timeline bar.

What I do in vegas 9.0 pro:
    - split in between the running & the jumping
    - split in between the jumping & the spin
    - rightclick the jumping, now splitted part -> properties -> playback rate 2,000 to double the speed.

Now in Vegas 9.0 pro my video will look like this:
    Running 4 seconds, jumping 2 seconds, spin 2 seconds, spin 4 seconds.
    There is no indication or whatsoever, atleast not that I found out about yet, that shows where I should cut it off where I originally split it.
    To adjust this manually without this nifty little aid, it's pretty much impossible to make a fluent & nice video. On top of that, it takes infinitly more work to even make it somewhat fluent.

STOP! - You are confusing me!

Start over and use a Velocity Envelope (VeloEnvel). What's with the playback rate and "splits"? Eh?

Basically you have a video event of 12 seconds duration. You want the middle "4 seconds" to be speeded up to 2 seconds duration. Velocity Envelopes will do EXACTLY this for you. Should take you about 2 minutes to do!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chaRqt View Post
    At this point my full video would look like this:
    Running 4 seconds, jumping 2 seconds, jumping 2 seconds (repeat), spin 4 seconds.
    So what I do next: since there is a small pinch or chip, dno how the proper translation sounds, shown where the second jump, aka the repeat begins.
    I think you are mistaken.

The little chip you refer to appears when the whole media clip is repeated.

If you place a 4 sec clip on the timeline (not four seconds trimmed from a longer clip), then change the playback rate to 2.000 then you will get the 2 second repeat and the "chip" will appear at 2 seconds (where the repeat starts). I've just tried this on my Vegas Movie Studio version 6 and it's the same as in my Pro9 so there's no difference in versions.

One way to achieve what you want is to proceed as above, but rather than change the playback rate for the middle section, CTRL+DRag the right hand side of that section towards the left (you'll notice a wavy line under the cursor - that shows it's time stretching/collapsing).

Or do what Grazie says and use Velocity envelopes (though whilst I love their flexibility, I find them quite difficult to control - at least if I want to get certain frames to line up with a certain point in my soundtrack)
    Tim

I think your right Tim, the "chip" only starts to appear at the end of a whole clip not a trimmed clip. BUT the whole thing has got so confusing I'm not sure what's what any more. If he wants a copy of a trimmed clip couldn't he just copy and past ? AND then put the speed effect on the copied clip ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    If he wants a copy of a trimmed clip couldn't he just copy and past ? AND then put the speed effect on the copied clip ?
    Agreed it's got confusing, but I think the point is the OP does NOT want a copy of the trimmed clip. He claims he used to get it and then trimmed back to remove the repeat.
    Tim

It doesn't sound like you know what a velocity envelope is? Right click the clip, choose envelope/velocity. You'll get a green line through the middle. Click on it anywhere, then drag the point to whatever you need. Add another point and drag that too, and so on. Works much the same as a volume envelope. (rubber band).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    It doesn't sound like you know what a velocity envelope is? Right click the clip, choose envelope/velocity. You'll get a green line through the middle. Click on it anywhere, then drag the point to whatever you need. Add another point and drag that too, and so on. Works much the same as a volume envelope. (rubber band).
    I'm not sure if that is directed at me or the OP. Irrespective, let me explain the problem I have with Velocity envelopes - but I'll do it in another thread.
    Tim

I know what velocity is & gave me the same trouble.

Nevertheless, the thing Tim said worked out for me with CTRL dragging. Really easy to use so thanks a bunch!

Now I can go onto fixing my rendering problems ;_; *rage*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast