Thread: HELP!!File Size/Exporting for DVD

Default HELP!!File Size/Exporting for DVD

Ok - i'm making a movie which is fairly long.
    How long a film can i fit onto a blank DVD?
    I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro for my editing, should i export through the encoder , and if so whcih settings shoudl i use? I am from australia. Previously i have been exporting to a DV Avi file. which one will create teh smallest file so i can burn to dvd and fit it all on?
    One of the sections i have is 28 mins long and when i exported to Dv AVi it = 6GB...so i'm just wondering how will i do this? Will i have to cut down the time for everything so i can only fit so much on? or..?? Because all the footage i have and want to use at the moment will go for between 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
    I just really have no idea how to do this since i've only made short films in the past and never had to worry about film length.
    any help, asap, that i can get is greatly appreciated!!

well, DV avi's only the intermediate stage. You'll do all your editing, in the DV avi format, then you encode to a format DVD players will play, usually mpeg-2. The mpeg-2 will be WAY smaller than the DV avi files.

as for how long you'll fit on a dvd, it depends on a lot of things. Audio bitrate will eat into the remaining space for video. The mpeg encoder you use will make a difference, as some are better than others, quality-wise, so better ones will give the same visual quality in a lower bitrate. You really want to do VBR, not CBR as well. The video content makes a difference. Is it grainy? High-motion?
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables