Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dancer Trailer

Default Dancer Trailer

Hello all. Just thought I would share the trailer to my new short film 'Dancer.' Have been working on this for ages and it has become a huge, huge project. Its great to finally be able to share some of it!

We shot on our usual equipment: Z1, 35mm adaptor and a cheap tracking system by Hague. Its been lots of fun to make with a talented cast and crew who were willing to give up a few weekends to make this happen. The film itself is still in post production but should be completed soon.

The music was kindly supplied by the band Narration. Some of you might remember the music video we did for them a while back:http://www.videoforums.co.uk/votm-ha...sic-video.html

This is the first time I have posted in vimeo, its good quality but can be slow to start playing!

If you have any thoughts I would love to hear them!

Cheers,

James.
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

That looks amazing. Very cleaver shot at 38 secs changing the focus.

Can't wait for the finished piece.

Thanks Midnight. I showed that shot to a group of people the other day and they thought it was superimposed! Nope, far to flash. Much easier to do it practically!

Old school style. Respect. That's not the only good shot by the way, it's just one that stood out for me.

I worked hard to get every frame looking good, didn't want any filler shots! Probably why this damn thing has taken so long to make!

Even from the trailer I can tell you have put a lot of soul into this movie. I forgot to say that the sound has been well recorded as well.

The sound has been a nightmare on this film. I shot most of the scenes in the Twickenham area which, unfortunately, is underneath the flight plan of Heathrow (what was I thinking?). Some days were worse than others but when it was bad the actors would literally freeze in a scene and hold it until the plane had passed and then continue. It wasn't an ideal way of staging dramatic scenes but luckily isn't a problem in the final cut!

Blog Entries

The quality continues to improve, James. Congratulations. Worked well as a trailer - does what it says on the tin - makes me want to know more about the people, the circumstances and the story.

As always, the better the film, the pickier I get

The shot mentioned by MB was a highlight, but personal favourite was the whole sequence leading up to this from 0:25. Some very nice dolly (cheap Hague tracking system?) shots segued into each other. I have a slight reservation about the 4th shot in the sequence (the bench) where I got the impression of the tracking going in the reverse direction - I'm still not sure if this is an optical illusion due to the zoom and the direction of the path, but I didn't spot it on first pass so it's hardly a glaring error.

A couple of weaker points for me: The first two lines (especially the first) are unclear. It took me two attempts to work out "a change of lifestyle's good" and I have listened over and over to the first line and still can't make it out.

I even listened with headphones which highlighted a sudden drop out of nat sound (just background hiss) in between the talent's two lines. I didn't notice this on speakers (50 PC 5.1 Logitechs set to stereo), but two different pairs of cheap headphones really showed it up. It happens with other voices as well, but the nat sound drop outs pretty much sync with the images so nothing wrong there. If you've killed the sound at that point because of some unwanted backgrund noise, I suggest you cut & paste some of the nat sound from elsewhere in the clip into the "dead" space.

The other weak point was the blood on the phone didn't look natural to me. It just seemed too bright and transluscent.

Nevertheless it was certainly as slick as any trailer I've seen for TV dramas.
    Tim

"This is what I want Steve"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    "This is what I want Steve"
    Thank you so much! I had a feeling I wasn't going to be able to get to sleep tonight pkndering that line.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast