Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VHS (VOB) Conversion For Editing & Restoration

Default 1990 VHS (VOB) Restoration (Family Events)

I am running Vegas Pro9, and dug up some VHS tapes from my childhood. Wanted the best possible quality so I used a VHS/DVD unit and converted the VHS tapes onto DVDs under the highest quality settings, then I copied the .VOB files from the disk to my computers HDD.

Would I have gotten a better quality product with a VHS player and a DV bridge and recorded directly into Vegas Pro?

Also are there plug-ins for Vegas that will correct the color and brightness?
    Last edited by PinkFloydEffect; 01-07-2010 at 04:18 AM.

Blog Entries

In Vegas, use File | Import | DVD Camcorder disc (it's a misnomer - it's fine for any DVD)
    I don't believe this does any conversion as such. VOB is a container for MPEG2 files. SO, no loss of quality from te DVD version.

I'm afraid I've no idea as to the first part of the question about using a DV bridge.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 01-06-2010 at 08:40 AM. Reason: correction
    Tim

Any copying or conversion almost inevitably leads to a loss of quality with te more steps involved likely to cause even greater deterioration. Because of this I should have thought your approach would lead to a noticable loss of quality.

My method is to use an anologue/digital convertor (mine is the Canopus ADVC 110) and link this between the VHS player and the computer using a firewire connection. I can then import direct from the tape to Vegas and go on from there as necessary. Some loss of quality does occur but, bearing in mind that VHS is already of a significantly lower quality than a digital image, the loss is minmal and tolerable for precious family records.

Richard

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post
    Any copying or conversion almost inevitably leads to a loss of quality
    Conversion - yes.
    Copying - not in the digital environment. It's always an exact copy.
    I don't believe import DVD Camcorder disk is doing any conversion.

My understanding (as ever I'm prepared to be corrected):

The advantage the Canopus ADVC over the VHS/DVD unit is that it results in SDDV avi which is a more easily editable and less compressed format than the MPEG2.

However, if the final destination is DVD and if there's little editing other than straight cuts, then I would have thought the difference would come down to whethere the conversion algorithms on the Canopus or the VHS/DVD unit are "better".
    Tim

Tim,

You're right of course but doesn't a lot depend on whether you are copying from anologue to digital (or from one format to another within digital) in which case I should have thought some degree of loss was inevitable (if only because you are, in effect, converting)?

I've used a VHS/DVD machine for copying but have found that, if you are trying to get much more than an hour or so transferred to a DVD, the quality can be quite badly affected (presumably because of the bit rates involved as well as the conversion).

Richard

Blog Entries

Tim,

You're right of course but doesn't a lot depend on whether you are copying from anologue to digital (or from one format to another within digital) in which case I should have thought some degree of loss was inevitable (if only because you are, in effect, converting)?
    Indeed, I just thought it was important to make that distinction. Perhaps it's because I've been working in IT for far too long that a copy means a copy to me and I don't ever consider "copying" one type of format to another to be "copying".

I ought to get back to the real world where people think in terms of "copying" VHS to DVD
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PinkFloydEffect View Post

Also are there plug-ins for Vegas that will correct the color and brightness?
    Only just spotted this part.
    Sony Vegas has a whole bunch of colour correction tools out of the box. Colour Curves. Primary & Secondary Colour Correctors, Saturation Adjust, Levels, HSL Adjust, Brightness and Contrast, Colour Balance, Black Restore

You want more? OK Search Vegas and Mike Crash, whoo has a couple of useful FREE plugins for correction.

Still want more?

Take a look at the NewBlue FX range of add-ons.
    Tim

THANK YOU ALL!

Tim,

I've used a VHS/DVD machine for copying but have found that, if you are trying to get much more than an hour or so transferred to a DVD, the quality can be quite badly affected (presumably because of the bit rates involved as well as the conversion).

Richard
    Oh yeah I'm using HQ 1Hour disks I dont care how much I can fit on a disk as long as I can get the best possibly quality files into my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Only just spotted this part.
    Sony Vegas has a whole bunch of colour correction tools out of the box. Colour Curves. Primary & Secondary Colour Correctors, Saturation Adjust, Levels, HSL Adjust, Brightness and Contrast, Colour Balance, Black Restore

You want more? OK Search Vegas and Mike Crash, whoo has a couple of useful FREE plugins for correction.

Still want more?

Take a look at the NewBlue FX range of add-ons.
    Thanks I will. I did not know there was that much out of the box, basically I need something that's as auto as possible. I don't know allot about the correction and haven't looked into it to see how complicated it can get.

I looked at Video Essentials 1 & Video Essentials 3 and they both have the tools I need they have a example video for both and the after looks great. Should I get both or does III have everything I has?
    Last edited by PinkFloydEffect; 01-06-2010 at 07:03 PM.

Blog Entries

Never used them (New Blue FX), but I believe they're different sets of tools. Can't remember who, but there's one semi-regular here who really likes them.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Never used them (New Blue FX), but I believe they're different sets of tools. Can't remember who, but there's one semi-regular here who really likes them.
    Hmm, Hopefully they chime in. I used a plugin that brightened the mids, but then I still have the problem of the dark paneling on the walls, so I add brightness to the entire thing and it becomes washed out.

I was able to get a mix between brightness and contrast that looked good but there's so many combination to try that its going to take forever! So far brightness and contrast seem to improve the image quality, its just getting a good mix...err.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast