Thread: Shooting in Subdued lighting ?

Default Shooting in Subdued lighting ?

Hi, I'm about to commence filming an interview in my music recording studio.
    The lighting is very atmospheric being low lit. I would really like to try to retain this lit atmosphere for the interview, but my filming trials on my standard definition camcorder are coming out very poorly with a grainy, whiteish wash over the image. Is there any way to achieve good crisp image quality in this kind of lighting. Night shot is no good - neither light night shot. I have also tried most of the camera settings. Can help ..??

cheers

I would shoot in good light and get the stylisation I was after in post.

Look up 3 point lighting. It's basically a back light, Key light (main front side) Fill light secondary front side light. These can be adjusted to get a stylised look. If you think it's "too bright" then if your camera will allow manual adjustments close the iris a bit, or increase the shutter speed. This will give you a very nice image if done right.

You don't have to go to all this trouble but understanding the principle of it will give you the right idea of how to achieve what your after.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Look up 3 point lighting. It's basically a back light, Key light (main front side) Fill light secondary front side light. These can be adjusted to get a stylised look. If you think it's "too bright" then if your camera will allow manual adjustments close the iris a bit, or increase the shutter speed. This will give you a very nice image if done right.

You don't have to go to all this trouble but understanding the principle of it will give you the right idea of how to achieve what your after.
    Hi Midnight Blue, ... Look up ? .. 3 point lightting ?
    I gather you suggest I google it to see how it's done yes ?

cheers and thanks, if so I will.

Blog Entries

It doesn't matter what camera manufacturers claim. No camcorder works well in low light.

Even our eyes don't work well in low light! If you take time to register what we actually see in dim and dark conditions, you'll notice that what you thought of as clean, dark shadows consists of all sorts of noise and grain... just like video. In TV or movie drama, low light scenes are lit to quite a high level (compared to reality) but the careful lighting and camera settings are such that it appears to be dark and moody.

If you're doing interviews, don't worry too much about additional lighting "destroying" the mood, the camera, sound, crew and interviewer will have done that already, a few small lights ain't gonna add much more stress!

You might want to try some tutorials on YouTube etc., to give you a basic idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    You might want to try some tutorials on YouTube etc., to give you a basic idea.

EXAMPLE
    Brilliant Midnight..thanks !! I'll take all that in and try a re shoot.

..And true Gaffer yes. I'm doing this interview filming myself so I'll experiment with 3 point lighting...good for my learning curve.

Thanks !