Thread: First video (walking backwards through city square)

1. Default First video (walking backwards through city square)

This is the first video I made. Its my friends walking through the city square. It was all just one take. While editing, it was boring, so I reversed it and punched the colour. They seemed to like it, and that's when I got really interested in video over photography.

In normal speed, and with all the camera shake (used deshaker), and dull colors, it was a lot worse (I'll try find the link to the original). would really appreciate to know what you all think of it.

[ame=http://vimeo.com/4901093]Good Morning on Vimeo[/ame]

Visually it looked pretty good. BUT at the end of the day it's just a bunch of kids walking through a town. All be it, in reverse.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Visually it looked pretty good. BUT at the end of the day it's just a bunch of kids walking through a town. All be it, in reverse.
    thanks MB, i think there is a blurry line between shooting friends, and making it appeal to others also. whenever a friend or family is in a video, 99% of the time, they will like it (only because they're in it). Will take a lesson from this!

the footage i had to make the video was beyond terrible, i found the link (bad habit of posting my vids all over the place, will stop) used deshaker to get rid of shake, and punched colors, and rewind in slowmo.

Watch HD Videos Online - rynek walk

this is not the original footage, it does have some strange color stuff done to it. anyways, just thought i'd post it. it's pretty bad..lol

Well you did a good job of making something out of nothing, as it were. I do like the look of the footage you get from the D90. I don't know if it's the lens or the CCD's or combination of both or what ever but you can get a nice image with stills cameras.

Like goonerman said, the colours here are great. I love the colour of the ginger hair at 2:18. I want your camera! What is it? :P

Just some little bits;
    the anti-shake seems to have worked pretty well, but watch out that at the top of the screen, you've got the frame wobbling about to keep up. I've never seen this before, as the video zooms in when in anti-shake. So possibly zoom it yourself, or letterbox it to a wider ratio to cover the moving top of the frame.

The content isn't particularly something that'll hold most people for 2:37, but you've definitely got a good image, and as a first film, this is way better than what I started out doing. Good job.

6. Default

Hey thx guys, this video was actually taken with the LX3 on video mode. I love photography more than anything..which is why I have these cameras. haven't bought a dedicated video camera. but i'm thinking about selling the LX3 to save for a dedicated video camera.

Limitations with the LX3 on video mode...once it starts recording, the focus point will not change. I think its good for when there is lots of light, at night it just sucks. Overall, its not good for video, but photography its phenomenal!

As for the D90, that is pretty good too, but again lots of limitations. The jello effect is horrible, but it forces you to keep the camera steady. There are better DSLR's for video, canon makes some awesome cameras.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BritishEye View Post
    Like goonerman said, the colours here are great. I love the colour of the ginger hair at 2:18. I want your camera! What is it? :P

Just some little bits;
    the anti-shake seems to have worked pretty well, but watch out that at the top of the screen, you've got the frame wobbling about to keep up. I've never seen this before, as the video zooms in when in anti-shake. So possibly zoom it yourself, or letterbox it to a wider ratio to cover the moving top of the frame.

The content isn't particularly something that'll hold most people for 2:37, but you've definitely got a good image, and as a first film, this is way better than what I started out doing. Good job.
    Hey thx! I see what you mean, its very distracting, but the original video shows in 16:9, and its still there but less distracting, because you only see a little. It was because of the program i used (deshaker) to get rid of camera shake, the program automatically changes each frame and blends by prediction, its a pretty cool process.

Thumbs up

I too like the colour here and the pace. My advice is to never give up on shooting friends and family, you'd be amazed at how much you learn from it, and then you can use the techniques and ideas when it really counts.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production