Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple Animation Part 2

Default Simple Animation Part 2

Latest instalment. Its much better viewed in HD folks.

Shrimpy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KgBekSRcYc"]YouTube- Simple Animation Part 2[/ame]

2. Default

Great stuff. I think its nice that you picked up the speed of this one. Its going to be an awesome set of tutorials once you're done!

I'm actually learning a bit myself about motion from your vids! lol

Great job Shrimpy, Another winner. What's your narration set up ? mic, location etc. It sounds really good.

Thanks folks.

Midnight - I have Tim Stannard to thank for the sound quality of the narration. He recommended I buy a Zoom H2 digital recorder a little while back. Its turned out to be an absolute gem. I write a script and then sit on the bed in the bedroom and record it in one file. I then just cut it up inside Elements and slide it where its needed.

Well my next epic will involve sound so I need a good set up. The Zoom H2 sounds good with your set up in the bed room. Good choice of room, plenty to absorb any room echo.

Well done.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    Midnight - I have Tim Stannard to thank for the sound quality of the narration.
    I wouldn't have told you if I'd known how much better than me you'd sound

It's not just your voice and delivery that makes this so good for children, Shrimpy, its the script. Simple language, friendly, but NOT condescending. Well done.

I wonder if the technical explanation was a bit fast. I don't use Premiere/Elements though I did use it to help someone who had it develop a "Dallas" movie title a couple of years ago. I found myself wondering "How do I get to that screen?" and "ooh, hold on a bit, that last instruction didn't sink in". Now I'm used to watching a video tutorial with my finger on the pause button, but would kids?

However slowing it down without it becoming boring would be tricky. Perhaps this is useful as a sweetener and an aide memoire, to be viewed either side of Shrimpy's personal instruction?

One niggle - I found the music became a bit intrusive/distracting during the techie parts. Not too loud, but too busy & percussive. I kept getting sidetracked trying to listen to the melody. Perhaps something of a more "pad" nature during the "concentration" segments.

And I love the little scene at the end - a great "wind down". Clever re-use of material as well (both in that and the sitting at the computer). The animators friend!
    Tim

Tim makes a good point about the music I found my self drifting the same point. At first I thought I'd misunderstood something on the instruction, so I went back, on a second review I found it was that the music was to interesting. Which is a funny problem.

The music is very good for this series, very fitting. Maybe just a little quieter during the complicated instruction bits would be better or maybe the intended audience wouldn't be as distracted by it as I was.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, very useful. I will try and sort that out for the next one. I will keep the music for the sake of a 'series' feel, but make it less distracting during the techie bits.

My general approach is to keep them short and let the viewer rewind and pause. My main worry about this one was about the viewer on Youtube being able to see the detail on the screen during the instruction. The backgrounds were just screen grabs which I zoomed to 200% for the closeups. I couldn't bring myself to fork out $300 for that prog that records the screen and does all the fancy tricks

Cheers

Just saw this. Very charming, and I can imagine is a great piece for children to catch on. Your voice-work is very child-friendly, which I'm sure you've gathered from what other people have said already.

One thing I had a little problem with was telling children to use Google Images for prop images in their animations. Perhaps you should teach them about copyright too? I know copyright is a nasty subject, but this is technically asking kids at a young age to start out film-making by taking others' content.

Perhaps mention how fun it would be for them to go out and take their own photos of the props they want to use in their productions?

Having a background in still photography, I tend to agree with Rob above.

As far as the children sitting with their finger on the pause button, my 10yo grandson already has this technique down to a tee!

I don't want to labour a point, but the voiceover is superb, I'm sure you could do it professionally! My daughter wants to know if you ever do a children's story on DVD, 'cos she wants a copy!!!

(Going back to episode 1, it should say 'manual focus' not 'manual zoom', but that's a minor point.)

Faststone.org has a screen capture utility that doesn't cost the earth and does a good job of recording screen movements. It doesn't record sound, but for this that wouldn't matter! FastStone Screen Capture - The Best Screen Capture Software $20 for the licence. Might be worth a look and a trial.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast