Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: family vid intro

  1. Default family vid intro

    <object width="400" height="224" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/1238419093322" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/1238419093322" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="224"></embed></object>

    not sure if the vid will pop up or not, but what do you think? its just the opening of what will be a bunch of footage i have of my family...using the d90. i think the color stuff looks okay, but i think the camera angle and cutting between shots could be better.

  2. #2

    Default

    Fixed link

    Some nice Family beach shots but you seem to have some focusing issues. If you can get your self use to using manual focus you will find the object or person you are filming will stay in focus better. Your camera seemed to have some difficulty in keeping the right thing in focus on some of the shots.

    Are you familiar with the term jump cut ? You did one at 34 seconds. Mostly the editing was ok I would have liked a long shot at the beginning to establish the location. Something to go along with the bird noise maybe.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 01-04-2010 at 08:28 PM.

  3. Default

    thanks midnight blue...i was searching the net on how to fix the link, but even from yours, my mac opens it up in opera, and it says facebook privacy setting something...not sure

    but thanks for the input. the d90 is hard to work with, because its only manual foucs, and i was still getting use to the manual focus at the time. will have to practice!


    just searched what jump cut is, and i see what you are talking about. in between, i cut out a lot of camera shake, d90 has issues with rolling shutter, so it had to go.

    this is old footage from last year, i think i have an opening with an 18mm wide angle of the beach, will definitely put it at the beginning of the shot. but its only a few seconds worth of steady camera. maybe in slow motion?

    i wonder if there is some kind of formula to know how often cuts should be, and where to position them. for the most part, i'm guessing its gut instinct? i feel the beginning of the video cuts way to fast from shot to shot.

    Wish i was at the beach again, would've have planned properly... wish i had taken some footage while low to the edge of the beach, with a wide angle, and shot the tides coming in. because for the most part, i was standing at normal height, just shooting. that's why i was concerned, because all of my shots are at height level. and its kind of boring for me...lol

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goonerman007 View Post
    thanks midnight blue...i was searching the net on how to fix the link, but even from yours, my mac opens it up in opera, and it says facebook privacy setting something...not sure

    but thanks for the input. the d90 is hard to work with, because its only manual focus, and i was still getting use to the manual focus at the time. will have to practice!

    You can get AF lenses for the D90 if you look for ones with VR in the name it helps with camera shake.


    just searched what jump cut is, and i see what you are talking about. in between, i cut out a lot of camera shake, d90 has issues with rolling shutter, so it had to go.

    I understand why you did it but instead of putting in a jump cut that's the time to put in a cut away and then go back to what you want.

    this is old footage from last year, i think i have an opening with an 18mm wide angle of the beach, will definitely put it at the beginning of the shot. but its only a few seconds worth of steady camera. maybe in slow motion?

    Yes slow motion is a good way of extending the shot, good idea.

    i wonder if there is some kind of formula to know how often cuts should be, and where to position them. for the most part, i'm guessing its gut instinct? i feel the beginning of the video cuts way to fast from shot to shot.

    No, there is no real formula, it's the skill and experience we all strive for.

    Wish i was at the beach again, would've have planned properly... wish i had taken some footage while low to the edge of the beach, with a wide angle, and shot the tides coming in. because for the most part, i was standing at normal height, just shooting. that's why i was concerned, because all of my shots are at height level. and its kind of boring for me...lol
    The number of times I've been in the editing chair and thought the same thing. That's where experience will teach you, in fact you have already learned that lesson. I'm still learning.

    Good luck with the rest of the edit.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Haywards Heath, West Sussex, UK
    Posts
    870

    Default

    Midnight has pointed out the faults so no need to repeat them. Just wanted to say I enjoyed the shots and you look to have a very nice family. I look forward to the finished article.

    Shrimpy

  6. Default

    thanks! appreciate the input/comments. I looked over the footage I have from the beach, its not enough to make the video feel complete. i will be seeing my family and also extended family soon, so I think I'll take more footage and make a kind of family video album. Looking forward to it!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,842
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goonerman007 View Post
    i wonder if there is some kind of formula to know how often cuts should be, and where to position them. for the most part, i'm guessing its gut instinct? i feel the beginning of the video cuts way to fast from shot to shot.
    (SNIPS)
    Wish i was at the beach again, would've have planned properly... wish i had taken some footage while low to the edge of the beach...
    It's all part of the same thing really. I find editing together a montage from a load of random "snapshot" type clips (ie most of my footage - just like everyone else I shoot a lot of family stuff) the most difficults sort of editing to do.

    I always look for some sort of narrative in my films. The obvious one is just time passing - ie showing sequences taking place as they take place in the day/afternoon/whatever, but unless these have some sort of "link" other than their chronological sequence it's no more interesting (and no more helpful to edit) than a random montage.

    So, it comes back to planning. If you have an idea about what you want to show, how the "story" will unfold, you'll form ideas about what shots you will want to get and those that you absolutely must get.

    Now when you go to the shoot, you will be shooting everything with much more of a purpose. Don't forget to take plenty of shots to use as cutaways.

    Now when you come to edit, you'll find it a lot easier because

    1. Every shot you have is a candidate for inclusion (unlike when you just shoot anything and everything)

    2. You'll have a good idea of what shots you've got because you were more focused on the final film when you were shooting.

    3. You will know the story you want to tell. And the tempo of that story will more often than not dictate how long you should leave each clip on the screen.

    For what it's worth, I did NOT think your cuts were too fast, but (and here's another problem) the next person might think they were!
    Tim

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    It's all part of the same thing really. I find editing together a montage from a load of random "snapshot" type clips (ie most of my footage - just like everyone else I shoot a lot of family stuff) the most difficults sort of editing to do.

    I always look for some sort of narrative in my films. The obvious one is just time passing - ie showing sequences taking place as they take place in the day/afternoon/whatever, but unless these have some sort of "link" other than their chronological sequence it's no more interesting (and no more helpful to edit) than a random montage.

    So, it comes back to planning. If you have an idea about what you want to show, how the "story" will unfold, you'll form ideas about what shots you will want to get and those that you absolutely must get.

    Now when you go to the shoot, you will be shooting everything with much more of a purpose. Don't forget to take plenty of shots to use as cutaways.

    Now when you come to edit, you'll find it a lot easier because

    1. Every shot you have is a candidate for inclusion (unlike when you just shoot anything and everything)

    2. You'll have a good idea of what shots you've got because you were more focused on the final film when you were shooting.

    3. You will know the story you want to tell. And the tempo of that story will more often than not dictate how long you should leave each clip on the screen.

    For what it's worth, I did NOT think your cuts were too fast, but (and here's another problem) the next person might think they were!
    Thanks a lot! You have no idea how helpful that was (wait, you do!)

    You are absolutely right. Up until now, I shoot randomly without giving much attention on how to tell the story, or what story I want to tell. Past few days on the forum, I've learned planning is everything. Thanks again!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,842
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goonerman007 View Post
    You are absolutely right. ... I've learned planning is everything. Thanks again!
    A word of warning. I've understood this for three years now, but STILL I find myself not having a clue what I'm going to film. Family events are just like that.
    Tim

  10. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    A word of warning. I've understood this for three years now, but STILL I find myself not having a clue what I'm going to film. Family events are just like that.
    I think thats the amazing thing about family gatherings. You never quite know what is going to happen. My intention has always to be to shoot as much as possible, and then only to include cuts where there is some kind of laughter, smile, or some 'moment'. i like when i see expressions the most, they tell the story...and for the most part, a family gathering is a happy time (for the most part).

    So, I'd have to agree with you on that one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. first family video
    By goonerman007 in forum User Videos
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-04-2009, 03:09 PM
  2. Please Help! Old family films - old Projector
    By RockyRiver99 in forum The Job Market
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-10-2009, 05:09 PM
  3. The Family Tradition
    By TCook in forum User Videos
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 07:04 AM
  4. I WANT TO PUT ALL MUMS FAMILY VIDS ON A BIG HD?How?
    By pob in forum Hardware Problems
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-12-2006, 11:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •