Thread: Choppy audio during video capture

Default Choppy audio during video capture

My apologies if this has been discussed and resolved before but I couldn't see anything about it on the forums.

I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue either but I'll start here.

I have a Samsung SCD21 miniDV camcorder. I have been using InterVideo WinDVD Creator for capture via firewire. I have an Maudio Audiophile2496 soundcard. Everything else about the PC is pretty standard. It has a P4 2.4 Ghz CPU

This all used to work perfectly but for quite some time now I have been having audio problems when trying to capture video to the hard drive. I never put much effort into resolving it until now as my "fix" has been to just keep buying more video tapes. Of course it would be nice to get the video off the tapes, edit it, and burn it onto DVD's like I used to do. I guess something I installed somewhere along the way screwed things up or perhaps just general performance degradation of Windows XP over time has rendered this capability inoperable.

At any rate, here is the issue.

If I just play the video on the camera through the pc the sound is fine but as soon as I start to do an actual video capture, the sound becomes all choppy and also has a bit of an echo sound to it as well. It also sounds this way when I play back the captured video from the hard drive. The video appears to be ok.

As mentioned, I'm not even sure if this would be hardware or software related or perhaps related to some configuration somewhere I've changed and not realized its knock on effect.

A friend of mine fairly well versed in using the pc as a recording studion suggested I play with the latency settings on my sound card but I haven't found that has helped.

So in a nutshell, I'm not even quite sure where to start troubleshooting or what to even try next. Short of a complete os reload (which I'm due for anyway I guess) to try and get the pc back to its former working glory, I'm not sure what to try.

Any suggestions would be most welcomed.

Well like you say, it could be a number of things that could have happened to it over time. One thing, you said the sound is choppy, does this mean you are dropping frames when you are capturing ? If so try a clear out of old un-needed files, Do you have any kind of "Healthy PC Utility" that will clean up your registry. Do a defrag and any other house keeping before taking the drastic step of a full OS reinstall.

Can't hurt. Good luck.