Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Epic Igloo

1. Default My Epic Igloo

I am new to this site...but not to film. I am an American film major and this is my most recent short film. It was shot on a sony handycam...so the camera quality is not the best. I edited it used Corel Video Editing software.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3il40GGWJI]YouTube - My Epic Igloo[/ame]

Ok, it was kind of funny. Dodgy camera work for a film major though.

3. Default

Like I said...I was using a Sony Handycam so the quality is not that great. I had to do everything hand-held...no tripod.

4. Default

Bailed at 2:06....

5. Default

i lol'd. at the end, i thought you were going to show the igloo, and then zoom out to show your house next to it...would've delivered some more lolz.

6. Default

Quite funny & original, although to be truthful I smiled rather than laughed.
    The film worked well on a deliberately amateurish level but the music didn't seem to fit with that at all.
    I felt it did go on too long & could definitely have been edited tighter for better effect.
    The toilet was gross!
    But a novel idea, I too expected a big ending but as it was almost a documentary you have to tell the truth.

Sarah

Blog Entries

I couldn't make my mind up whether it was extremely bad hand-held or simply meant to look amateur. If the latter it didn't work. An amateur putting together something to show off his work will hold the camera much more steadily. If you'd shot it on (or treated it to look like it had been shot on) a mobile phone (that'll be cellphone to you) then the shakiness might have been more believable.

The idea was quite amusing. It was killed by going on for far too long. I didn't see the point of labelling the items around the igloo, but assuming that was funny doing it more and more makes it LESS funny, not more.

The girls are right about the music - though I'm not realy sure what WOULD be appropriate.

What's a film major? I assume some sort of US College degree. If you are a major does that mean you've already gained the qualification or does that mean you're studying. And what does the course cover?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    And what does the course cover?
    Obviously not how to use a camera properly. lol

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Obviously not how to use a camera properly. lol
    HAHAHAHA that's so funny! Wow that was so witty! Good one.

Seriously, this forum is for constructive criticism. I didn't make this video for a project or anything important. I just built a pretty cool igloo, shot some crappy footage with a cheap camera, and made the best with what I had. I think I did a fairly good job making something out of nothing.

And to answer the previous poster, I am currently a sophomore in film. I've had limited experience shooting and editing.

If you can't tell that I wasn't going for good cinematography, you don't get the point. It's just a funny little video meant to show off my igloo.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboman87 View Post
    HAHAHAHA that's so funny! Wow that was so witty! Good one.

Seriously, this forum is for constructive criticism. I didn't make this video for a project or anything important. I just built a pretty cool igloo, shot some crappy footage with a cheap camera, and made the best with what I had. I think I did a fairly good job making something out of nothing.

And to answer the previous poster, I am currently a sophomore in film. I've had limited experience shooting and editing.

If you can't tell that I wasn't going for good cinematography, you don't get the point. It's just a funny little video meant to show off my igloo.
    calm down bro

you did ask for critique. i thought your video was definitely funny. but camera shake can be annoying, especially since it can be avoided. i guess people sometimes get easily caught up with bad camera handling, and it loses the focus a little on following the video. that's probably what happened here.

intentional camera shake (1st person shot), like blair witch project is different. but its stil controlled, even though its camera shake. in your case, it doesn't seem too controlled, maybe it is, i don't know. but i do think your video would look a whole lot better if the camera was more steady.

my 2 cents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast