Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Editing HD Video - A total pain.

Default Editing HD Video - A total pain.

Hello, I'm new to these forums, but I've been looking all around for a solution to this problem.

I've been using Sony Vegas 8 Pro for a good 2 years now, and had been using it to create and edit SD movies. Recently I've stepped up to HD with a new camera and am finding it a total pain in the neck to edit any HD video in Sony Vegas. The videos are extremely slow and laggy while editing, making it impossible to edit carefully and go frame by frame. Its nothing like editing SD videos and having the ease of editing quickly, then hitting spacebar to make sure I had gotten every detail right.

Is there any kind of solution to this? I have a fairly powerful PC running on Windows Vista 64-bit.

Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
    4GB DDR2 800 RAM
    8800GT Video card

Any help is appreciated.

Have you tried adjusting the preview options to reduce the picture quality for checking the smoothness of cuts, transitions etc. and then improving the preview quality for checking the image quality, colour etc.

I moved to HD about 18 months ago - using 8b then 8c. On my old 2 core, with 3gig RAM, the only noticeable difference was in the rendering times. What version of 8 are you using? I tried 8.1 when I upgraded to a 64bit system. Found it total crap, and went back to 8c. Also, what type of HD are you editing?

CitizenSnips5

Judging from your computer specs, you have a fairly powerful machine there. I'd question the compatibility of Sony Vegas with your system. Exactly which build of Sony Vegas 8 are you on?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Have you tried adjusting the preview options to reduce the picture quality for checking the smoothness of cuts, transitions etc. and then improving the preview quality for checking the image quality, colour etc.
    Yes I've tried adjusting the preview box quality, even turning it down to Draft -Quarter gives me an unnoticeable difference in speed and smoothness of the video, it still lags incredibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    I moved to HD about 18 months ago - using 8b then 8c. On my old 2 core, with 3gig RAM, the only noticeable difference was in the rendering times. What version of 8 are you using? I tried 8.1 when I upgraded to a 64bit system. Found it total crap, and went back to 8c. Also, what type of HD are you editing?
    Right now I'm running on Sony Vegas Pro 8.0c, and I'm editing 1280x720p HD video from a Samsung HMX-H100 camera that records video using MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 encoding.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_hendricks View Post
    CitizenSnips5

Judging from your computer specs, you have a fairly powerful machine there. I'd question the compatibility of Sony Vegas with your system. Exactly which build of Sony Vegas 8 are you on?
    Sony Vegas Pro 8.0c, I'm considering trying out the trial for Vegas 9 and seeing if that helps.

Thanks guys for the speedy responses!
    Last edited by CitizenSnips5; 01-04-2010 at 03:07 PM.

I have 8c - 9c 32bit - 9c 64bit on my Vista business 64bit system. 8c is far and away the most stable of the 3. But my HD editing is with .m2t.
    I'm wondering if you need to use an intermediate to edit with. Lots of people struggling to edit AVCHD with lots of other NLE's too. If I were you, I'd head over to the Sony forums and do a search there for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    I'm wondering if you need to use an intermediate to edit with.
    What exactly are intermediates?

Because the system is struggling with AVCHD, it's common to convert to something else to edit with. MXF (built in to Vegas) seems to be gaining in popularity for this.

This thread may help you: Recomendation for Intermediate Files : Sony Vegas

AVCHD will struggle on most PC's I'm afraid it requires a lot of power to fill in those missing frames, we had the same when we used MPEG2, buts got a lot better.

Try using format factory to convert files or look at my site below, Sony..plug ins there is a script in there for batch rendering for use with SV8

10. Default

A friend of mine has sony vegas on his computer, and I've tried editing .mt2 files on it...pain in the ass. not sure about his computer specs though, but your machine seems capable.

i like to use final cut, and i convert all my footage into Prores 422, not sure if that is compatible with Vegas. its like an intermediate which is 10x easier to work with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast