Thread: Help With rendering and exporting?

1. Default Help With rendering and exporting?

Ok well I'm a newbie at After Effects and Premiere .

I would like to know the best way to do my media encoding,rendering, and exporting.

Ok what i'm doing now is encoding the mp4 footage my camera shoots in to avi for after effects. Then I when I do all my effects I render it with lossless codec. Then I open that in Premiere and edit it with all the other clips and then I select export, then media encoder then I export it to mov with h.264.

I need the best way to encode the mp4 to work with in ae then edit it ,render for premiere then edit then export for youtube.

AE should be able to deal with the mp4 files straight outta your camera, I tend to export all my files as mp4 and regularly re-import them for editing. I'm also not 100% sure as I tend to do stock video (so short clips) but you may be able to import the after effects work file into premiere without having to export the clips at all, but you may need to research a bit more or wait for someone else on here.

Quote Originally Posted by xxntkidxx View Post
    Ok well I'm a newbie at After Effects and Premiere .

I would like to know the best way to do my media encoding,rendering, and exporting.

Ok what i'm doing now is encoding the mp4 footage my camera shoots in to avi for after effects. Then I when I do all my effects I render it with lossless codec. Then I open that in Premiere and edit it with all the other clips and then I select export, then media encoder then I export it to mov with h.264.

I need the best way to encode the mp4 to work with in ae then edit it ,render for premiere then edit then export for youtube.
    I am interested in any other comments. Here is my pennyworth, but be aware that I am not authoritive on the subject:

I have read that earlier versions (pre CS4) of AE were less than perfect at reading MP4 files. I have also read suggestions that AE may not perform efficiently as the MP4 compression requires that several frames are analysed in order to render correctly; unlike an uncompressed file - where all the information about each Frame appears in the same place in the file.

My cam also produces MP4 files. I perform almost the same operations as xxntkidxx. However, I trim the clips in Premiere before creating the uncompressed files for AE. After having fun with AE; I export an uncompressed AVI; for inporting back into Premiere.

Whilst the workflow is a bit long winded, the other nuisance is the increased disk activity in having to cope with huge AVI files; as opposed to small MP4s.

4. Default

So you put the footage from the camera into premiere as the mp4 then trim,and open the premiere project file into ae edit then render?

This may not necessarily be the best way, however:

Import Cam's footage into Premiere.
    Use Premiere's 's cut/paste/composition features.
    Export the required section to an uncompressed file eg: "file_A".
    Import File_A into AE.
    Have fun with AE.
    Export from AE, an uncompressed file e.g "File_B".
    Import File_B into Premiere.

Alternatively, one might consider making use of the "Adobe Dynamic Link"
    rendering, video rendering | Adobe Dynamic Link

6. Default

What do you mean by uncompressed video?

I recommend this site. It contains links to better explanations than I can give.
    uncompressed video - Google Search

and for the record. Never ever export from After Effects. Always add to the render queue. Very different things.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    and for the record. Never ever export from After Effects. Always add to the render queue. Very different things.
    Ya I already do that.

Quote Originally Posted by xxntkidxx View Post
    Ya I already do that.
    Cool. Worth emphasising though.