Thread: Aspect ratio problem - someone please help!

Default Aspect ratio problem - someone please help!

Hi guys,

I'm quite new to the video editing software I have (Sony Vegas 9) and I have a problem I was hoping you could help me with.

I'm currently trying to splice together two pieces of video, one of which has a 16:9 aspect ratio, and the other a 4:3 ratio. Now, I can put them together fine, but what I want to do, in order to make my video more seemless, is to make the 4:3 effectively output at 16:9, so that at no point do I get any black borders at the side of the screen, but without distorting the video in any way.

Of course, it is quite simple to just stretch the video horizontally using Event Pan/Crop, but I don't want to do that. Therefore, I suppose I'll need to somehow 'zoom in' and in effect chop off part of the top and bottom of the image.

Can anyone tell me how exactly I might do this?

I've tried everything I can think of and I've had no luck.

Thanks in advance.

-Kissinger.

Quote Originally Posted by kissinger View Post
    Of course, it is quite simple to just stretch the video horizontally using Event Pan/Crop, but I don't want to do that.
    - Eh? But that's how you DO do it - by using Pan/Crop? How are you getting the stretch? I'm interested?

Anyways . . .

Quote Originally Posted by kissinger View Post
    Therefore, I suppose I'll need to somehow 'zoom in' and in effect chop off part of the top and bottom of the image.
    Yes, go back into Pan/Crop and use the Preset drop down: "16:9 Widescreen TV aspect ratio" : preset. This WILL give a default slice through the centre of your shot. You can also range the the rectangle up or down a bit to re-frame.

Thanks Grazie, that fixed it! So simple, but I'm new to this so I over looked it.

I got the stretch previously by messing with the settings under the 'position' and 'source' tabs in EP/C.

I have a related problem using Vegas V9. My movie is made up of clips 720X576 and I'm rendering the movie as PAL DV Widescreen. In the Preview (and final rendered) screen, some of the clips have a black band either side; others have a black border all the way around. These clips were shot on the same day, same camera, same settings, same video capture settings. What have I done wrong this time and how do I dig myself out of this hole? BobS

Quote Originally Posted by BobS View Post
    I have a related problem using Vegas V9. My movie is made up of clips 720X576 and I'm rendering the movie as PAL DV Widescreen. In the Preview (and final rendered) screen, some of the clips have a black band either side;
    Correct. That's exactly what I would expect to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BobS View Post
    others have a black border all the way around.
    . . . . and that is NOT what I would expect to happen.

Sounds like you have picked up some rogue Border Fx OR have altered the ratio in Pan/Crop, just for those clips.

Sorry, but you is gonna to need to put your forensic hat on and steadily wade through your workflow to prise the little fecker out!

Grazie, thank you. There are 340 clips in this movie. The vast majority, captured under the same settings, do not have black strips or borders. As always, one is highly confused. BobS