Thread: Dr Who has become Rubbish TV

Blog Entries

Default Dr Who has become Rubbish TV

Is it just me or did anyone else find the Dr Who Christmas special virtual rubbish?

I'm not talking about the special effects, computer generated or otherwise, the acting or the technical side but the story... Lame, juvenile and uninspired. The series has cost more than most feature films, had superb actors (David Tennant, John Simm, Timothy Dalton, okay and Bernard Cribbins) but a plot dreamed up by some fourteen year olds in the playground.

Technically magnificent but so what? Sloppily directed, stretched out and downright tacky, not even charmingly tacky like the "old" Dr Who. David Tennant got me to look at the series but even he couldn't rescue the final episode. Came in with a bang... went out with a plop.

Rant over

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    Is it just me or did anyone else find the Dr Who Christmas special virtual rubbish?
    Didn't watch it. Gave up early last year for the very reasons you cite.
    Tim

Blog Entries

It had me entertained, but then I never really expect much from Dr Who. It's rare that it compares favourably with the likes of Battlestar Galatica, but then it wouldn't be fair to compare. It's very much hit and miss with for me, but good fun nonetheless. I thought the finale was a fitting one. Good fun, but nothing special.

All you have to do is listen to what they have done to the theme tune to know that it's the same thing but digitalised and filled out with some fancy frills. The original theme tune was electronic but organic with much more sincerity and honesty.

This is my analogy of what's wrong with the new effort. Full of fancy bolx, like my analogy.

I have to agree with you there Gaffer, I was disappointed with the xmas specials, I too thought the story line could have been better. waited all year for this and what did ya! get aload of wel you know what. I fell out with Dr who after Tom baker, the Dr's did go down hill after him, in my opinion. Then when Christopher Ecclestone took on the role, I went oooh, he's good, then was dreading David Tennant when he took over. Didn't think that anyone could beat Chris, whoe did he woooop his A%$. Now to some degree I think he's the best Dr, then I battle with John pertwe and Tom baker So I give up.

Yeah crappy story line, And there is a new younger version on the DR now so, MMMmmmmm is it down hill from now, was the xmas special a preset for the things to come.....The new Dr does have a hard act to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    Technically magnificent but so what? Sloppily directed, stretched out and downright tacky, not even charmingly tacky like the "old" Dr Who. David Tennant got me to look at the series but even he couldn't rescue the final episode. Came in with a bang... went out with a plop.
    But that is the one thing about Dr. Who that has not changed. Every time one Dr. Who runs out of umph!!... he goes and comes back as another incarnation, usually worst than the previous one. All I have to say is, "EXTERMINATE...EXTERMINATE...EXTERMINATE!!!"

In all truthfulness, I never heard of Dr. Who until the early 1980s, when I worked as a video engineer at a Public Television station in West Virginia. (Public TV in the USA usually means anything produced by the British and bought from BBC or Lionheart).

I used to have to edit down Dr. Who episodes every week, by several minutes, in order for them to fit into the program schedule. Even with Linear tape editing, cutting out 25 minutes of slack from a Dr. Who episode, without cutting any scenes, was a breeze. A couple of hundred edits, taking out a few seconds at a time, and the final product wasn't half bad to watch.

Of course, I have not seen it in over 20 years. Does he still travel around in that red telephone phone booth, or has he upgraded to a cell phone box?
    Last edited by worddigger; 02-12-2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: madness

Actually it a blackberry soon to be upgraded to an ipad.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    All you have to do is listen to what they have done to the theme tune to know that it's the same thing but digitalised and filled out with some fancy frills. The original theme tune was electronic but organic with much more sincerity and honesty.
    totally agree.

i havent watched dr who since they replaced christpher eccleston