Thread: Ratings on my video

Talking Ratings on my video

Hello, Based on the effects and recording pls give me a rating from 1-5 and why. Thanks and I also need advise from the pros...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrDnjFFUg2s]YouTube - Big Chief & Wale Smoothy - We Get Wasted[/ame]

Ok guys this is not good. The vocal was not recorded very well. Either the mic cost you $2 or you where shouting to close to it. This grinned on me all the way through the video.

Stop using armature transitions. Pros would normally use the occasional special transition if it fits with the over all concept of the video. Other than that use straight cuts or if fitting a fade. This video, I'm afraid, seems like a bunch of unrelated clips, stuck together without any thought.

It's not totally rubbish just mostly.

My opinion may seem harsh, it is intended to give you a wake up call so you don't just go along with friends saying it's really cool when it just isn't.

Peace bro.

3. Default

just to clarify, i'm not a pro..lol

having said that, your work doesn't look too professional looking. it looks like it was just shot and cut together without any thought. i take that back...i'm sure there was thought put into it, but it seems that the creator never quite knows how to judge what they've just created (if that makes sense)

personally, i'm not a fan of all those fancy looking cuts. i think they are overdone. but again, i think i commented on a previous video of yours, if the footage is not average or below average, its hard to make up for it with editing. its really true, you have to nail the footage in the first place.

lots of your clips are just shot at eye level, for starters, start moving around, looking up from below, or looking down from above. turning in circles around someone who is facing the same way. i think that would be a good place to start.

when you shoot the video, think about everything in the scene, and how does it add or take away from the music video.

Blog Entries

OK, I've got to agree with the other posts, both about this and your other video.

I can see you've put a lot of work into this, but I'm afraid it is entirely misguided. The effects just make it look amateur and it looks like they are trying to cover up for the fact that there's no good footage in the first place.

You need to spend some time PLANNING your movie. This means working out what the final thing is going to look like. Only then can you even begin to think about shooting.

If you do this you will see that you don't required any effects or, if you do, they are planned from the start and incorporated into the whole video rather than just thrown in at random.

You may be wondering how this is so different from the video you posted in another thread in the Vegas section as an example of what you want to achieve. After all, Grazie listed numerous effects that were being used, right?

Well, the point is in that video, whilst there are MANY effects, they are all clearly planned and part of the struture of the whole piece. There are a few transitions, but these are all pretty simple transitions, fades through flashes etc - I don't think you'll see any fancy ripples or 3D effects going on. Most of the effects are to do with framing the images (a constant stream of images, like a movie strip) and a few graphics/lower thirds which give it a TV show feel (in keeping with the "movie strip" theme. And the other effects are to do with colour coding the whole piece to give it a certain "feel".

But, before you can even begin to think about that, you need to get the basics right in filming some decent shots.

I really think you're aiming far too high (for now - it's great to have ambition). I suggest you start by trying to put together a simple, straightforward, no effects, cuts only edit of good and interesting shots for the duration of one whole song. When you can do that, the rest will become mudch more natural.
    Tim

Thanks everyone. I've seen my mistakes and would be better for this next video which is being planned rather than have random shots. i'll use just fading transitions... I have another video which was kinda planned but not really, the link is here [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUNvHazoz0k]YouTube - Nakinz- World Stories[/ame] . what do you think?

6. Default

first of all, i think the new video is better. but don't know if that's saying much. but seriously, i think there is way too much funky transitions, and ripple effects. it's just not my kind of style. and to add, the effects are very random. usually, there is a common theme to effects in videos, i think.

as for the footage, i think its a lot better. no more random streets, i like how you get more close up.

to be honest, i don't know what to think. because it's just some music with people dancing and selling shoes, counting money. i understand, because most rap videos do have that, but in those music videos, there is usually some kind of story line, or atleast some kind of 'flow' from beginning to end.

at the end of the day, your videos are just random clips put together. nothing wrong with that, but it's going to have to be top notch clips to keep the viewer interested.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by goonerman007 View Post
    first of all, i think the new video is better. but don't know if that's saying much. but seriously, i think there is way too much funky transitions, and ripple effects. it's just not my kind of style. and to add, the effects are very random. usually, there is a common theme to effects in videos, i think.

as for the footage, i think its a lot better. no more random streets, i like how you get more close up.

to be honest, i don't know what to think. because it's just some music with people dancing and selling shoes, counting money. i understand, because most rap videos do have that, but in those music videos, there is usually some kind of story line, or atleast some kind of 'flow' from beginning to end.

at the end of the day, your videos are just random clips put together. nothing wrong with that, but it's going to have to be top notch clips to keep the viewer interested.
    Thanks, before I start shooting of my next video, I will post the plan along with the song so I can get advise from the pros

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by walata View Post
    Thanks, before I start shooting of my next video, I will post the plan along with the song so I can get advise from the pros
    sounds like a good idea. by the way, are you from ghana? in one of your videos, someone is rapping about fufu, i have a ghanian friend who always talks about fufu! lol

Quote Originally Posted by goonerman007 View Post
    sounds like a good idea. by the way, are you from ghana? in one of your videos, someone is rapping about fufu, i have a ghanian friend who always talks about fufu! lol
    lol, am from Nigeria..

This second video is somehow better than the first. Maybe because the voice wasn't clipping all the time. lol

I think you have got a lot of good advice from the posts above. It's up to you now to apply it. Remember, Just because you can use a transition doesn't mean you should. Try using straight cuts to see what that looks like. You may be surprised.