Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple animation part 1

Default Simple animation part 1

Ok this is my first attempt at a short animation. The target audience are my nephew and niece and the idea is to explain the process for making a simple animation. I have solved the greenscreen issue, by not bothering to use it. The results are better than I had hoped for. I am trying to create a system of animation that makes it much quicker to put together a story than the more traditional take a picture, move process.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    Ok this is my first attempt at a short animation. The target audience are my nephew and niece and the idea is to explain the process for making a simple animation. I have solved the greenscreen issue, by not bothering to use it. The results are better than I had hoped for. I am trying to create a system of animation that makes it much quicker to put together a story than the more traditional take a picture, move process.

YouTube - Simple Animation part 1
    very nice idea, i wouldn't have thought of that. i tried some stop animation in the past, but it was too frustrating for me. i think you're method could work well.

i think it works, but its set up on a 2d level. but you brilliantly added the 3rd dimension (on the island in the distance). very cool!

I actually enjoyed the video, and would definitely watch more like it, if you made more.

just my 2cents.

Blog Entries

Yeah. Nice animation.

For your target audience, it probably works. I kept forgetting that it was for kids and found it very slow. I wonder if children actually need it to be so slow.

Technically top notch though.

Yes I thought it was a bit slow myself but we are baby sitting the target audience this Monday, so I will find out then.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Only a little bit slow IMHO Shrimpy!
    I'll show it to my grandsons tomorrow and get a second opinion for you. They both got cameras for christmas, so it will give them something to work on as you produce more. Don't hold your breath for a masterpiece though.

As said above, technically great, well done.

Great job Shrimpy. I can see this on CBEEBIES soon. Just one problem I had was the zoom into the island could have been slower, this would have given it a more natural feel.

I was happy with the over all pace of it. Maybe a slight bit of feathering on the globe, not sure if that would have made it look better to blend in with the black background. OR choose one that came from a black back ground. I loved the pan at around 20 secs it gave it a good 3D feel.

I think I'm being to critical for what was a really good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Just one problem I had was the zoom into the island could have been slower, this would have given it a more natural feel.
    That was a zoom! I though it was a straight cut, but would have prefered a zoom, straight into the Med!

Thanks for the feedback folks. It was a straight cut to a closer view of the island. I think a zoom would have been better in the end though. Also I cocked up with the project settings in Elements 7, I chose a 4:3 instead of widescreen as the photos were 640x480. Immaterial of course as the characters are then cut out of the photo via photoshop and saved with a transparent background so only the character shows when overlaid. So, I could have used widescreen all along.

The kids love it so thats all that matters

Blog Entries

I thought that was magnificent. What a delightfully simple way to present stuff to small children. And again, your voice is perfect. If you start to make series you may need a second voice to break up the monotony. Is Mrs Shrimp game?

What you could really do with is your own set of custom made unique to you characters (find someone "crafty" who models in clay perhaps to create them in exchange for a credit to one each film wnad link to their craft shop.
    (This will avoid any unnecessary nastiness with the copyright holders of Hello Kitty)

See - it's just a retirement hobby, but I'm already working towards your business plan!

Back to the technique. So simple. So quick (compared to other animation, anyway).

My only thought on this one was I suspect whilst it is absolutely clear what is going on to us adults, kids might have needed a bit more - ie show a "cut out" figure and how it can move independently of a background. You've explained the setting up of the process and the end result but not "why" it works. Perhaps some "live action" footage of you moving a physically cut out photograph over a background photo to demonstrate the principle followed by
    "But WE'RE going to do this with a computer".
    Tim

Thanks for the positive strokes Tim, it spurs me on to complete the next one which is a bit more technical on what it explains.

They are fun to make and handy to do when you have no real footage that needs editing. I take your point on the use of the Hello Kitty characters. I doubt they are going to appear in many movies though. I have a little action figure I may have a play with next.

As for the voices Mrs Shrimpy has said she will try some. We will have to see as its all very embarrassing recording the narration. I have to lock myself away to do it.

Editing software is a minefield when you suddenly start thinking of how to explain it all to children. There will be many things not covered but then again they can always ask me how its done. I am making sure they get the same editing software. Otherwise life could be hell.

I will post up part 2 once its finished.

Cheers

Ken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast