Thread: Where to start with software

Default Where to start with software

Hello all.
    I have a Sony mini dv, DCR HC62 along with some mini dvs from past camcorders. In the next couple of years I would like to change camcorder formats, maybe solid state so I would like to get all of my mini dvs changed into soft copy, video files. I donít care what format, I just want them to be high quality. Once my camcorder goes, I these files will be all that I have. I am, however, having a hell of time getting this done. As was noted in the forum sticky, I downloaded the files directly from my camcorder to my computer and the files are HUGE 10-12 gigs each, so big, I cannot even play them. So, I need to do something about encoding them or getting them in some other format. A friend suggested that I use WINFF to do this but all of the final videos donít look as nice as my original video, also as stated in the sticky for this forum. I have tried every possible video format for the final file but none look as nice as original from the camcorder. All of this leaves me at a total loss on how to proceed. I need to get these videos in the best possible format but in their current state I cannot even play them on my computer due to the current file size. With this in mind I have the following questions.
    1.What is the best way for me to proceed, what is the best way/format for me to download (maybe not just convert) these videos so as to keep my current quality but reduce the size.
    2.What program is best/cheapest to get this done
    3.At this point, am I just better off seeing how much someone would charge me to get this done? I have been out of work for awhile and have more time than money but I need to get this done.
    4.Any other input that would be helpful
    5.Last thing, any thoughts about the mini dv format going away

Bournemouth, UK

Though the files are big it's surprising that your computer won't playback if it was able to capture. What program did you capture with? Does it give any conversion facility?
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

I download/pulled these videos from my camera with Windows Movie Maker.

I do not understand why I cannot view them either. I have 4 gig of ram so I should have enough memory to buffer enough of the video to get it started. I can view other videos. Because of these videos I have very little storage space on the drive, that could be causing the problem.

So if I understand the other posting correctly, it sounds like AVI or DVD is the best way to go?

Thanks again.